• Announcements

• Badgerbuckhunter

Prayers for a longtime Member   11/05/2017

The Church mass shooting that happened today, was Peggy Wardens Church. She was one of the people killed today and her grandson was shot in the arm and is in surgery. Lets keep her in our thoughts and prayers. I made a topic in the "Cabin" I will keep everyone updated as I get information.

myz71

S40 F2.8 help

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

Trying to make a few more cams.  I've done about 10 S40s with SSS LCD boards and external Cs. over the years but slowly they began to malfunction.  Tried to make 2 new ones.  No luck. 

Camara 1 works fine on its own but not connected to the SSS.  When I turn the board on and get the camera refresh message the cam will not turn on in either case.  Camera 2 will turn on in both cases and the lens comes out.  So that tells me my "power" hack in camera 1 is not correct?  I took the cam apart and the soder looks good.   Any other ideas?

Camera 2 has the message on the camera F2.8 which has to do with the auto focus.  I can't get rid of this.  When I try and take a pic with the camera on its own it takes about 10 secs. and that green light flashes before the camera actually takes a pic.  Same thing when the camera is connected to the board.  Basically I have shutter set at 10 secs.  No good for a trail camera.  

How do I get that F2.8 message on the bottom to go away?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by myz71

Try initializing the camera to get rid of that message

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On the first camera have you tried letting the board go through walk test and then trigger it to take a picture? See what happens then.

39 minutes ago, johnnydeerhunter said:

Try initializing the camera to get rid of that message

I did try reformating and initializing back to original settings but no such luck.  I guess the F2.8 is the lens but it is somehow stuck in some kind of AF mode.  

The first cam will not power on at all connected to the board.  When the board is first turned on it should power on the cam and refresh it but nothing happens.  Both boards will power on and refresh the 2nd cam so I know they are working correctly.

On the back of the camera try pressing the right button once and see if that helps. The button should have a square with a dot in it.

If you connect the 2nd camera to the board will it turn on using the cameras power button?

No either setting with the AF has the same delay.  The green light flashes about 10 times before taking the pic.  And I do know it isn't the pic delay setting that is the bottom button that flashed orange on the front of the camera.

The other cam I have apart right now.  But I think it would power on connected because the camera works fine on its own.  

Edited by myz71

I wonder if the flash is bad?  The green dot flashes in the viewfinder and the green light flashes on the back of the case.  I will look at that tomorrow.

Will Camera 1 operate with just the hack wires? If it does, it's not the hack of the power contact.The problem could also be a broken hack wire (more likely if you used solid rather than stranded wire). With Camera 2, are you sure the lens is seated in the body correctly, sometimes mine have been hard to get reseated tightly after hacking for external batteries. Otherwise, pull the lens ribbon cables (including the one for the focus motor) and clean them with alcohol.

52 minutes ago, Woody Meristem said:

Will Camera 1 operate with just the hack wires? If it does, it's not the hack of the power contact.The problem could also be a broken hack wire (more likely if you used solid rather than stranded wire). With Camera 2, are you sure the lens is seated in the body correctly, sometimes mine have been hard to get reseated tightly after hacking for external batteries. Otherwise, pull the lens ribbon cables (including the one for the focus motor) and clean them with alcohol.

Camera 1 does operate with the wire hack.  Camera power to external positive cam turns on shutter to external positive takes pic immediately.  Power to positive turns cam off.. 

Good idea about the lens body.  I did check that looked good but I pulled it out and put back in and no change.  Never cleaned any of the ribbons.  Take rubbing alcohol on a rag and wipe down?  

You should be using your external power negative to your power and shutter wires.

For the other camera if you think it's the flash just turn it off by pressing the button with the lightning bolt on the back of the camera until you see the symbol for no flash. If it works with the flash turned off then that's your problem.

Take rubbing alcohol on a rag and wipe down?  

I've never used rubbing alcohol (isopropanol), I use denatured alcohol (ethanol). Once I used a bit of hand sanitizer (unscented) which contains ethanol and it worked just fine.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:20 AM, johnnydeerhunter said:

You should be using your external power negative to your power and shutter wires.

You're correct it is the negative not positive.  But it does work with the hack wires. 

Update.  I took another cam I had laying around and hacked that one.  Everything works perfect with camera 3 in both cases.  So I can rule out the boards and that part of the build.  

I've given up on camera 2 with focus error.  I can occasionally get it to take pics on its own but has major delay and sometimes I get the "hand warning" for vibration.  I took 3 lens from parts I had laying around no change with any of the lenses.  1 of the 3 lens I put in one of my malfunction cams where the lens was stuck.  It works fine in that cam so that cam is back iin business!    

Camera 1 is very perplexing.  It works fine on it's own and with the wire hack.   The cam will not turn on when power to the board is turned on where it is supposed to get the initial refresh cam.  Now here is the strange part.  I just left both builds (cam 1 and 2) sit yesterday and as I would walk by them as tests.  Both cams turn on lens comes out like they are supposed to.  But neither would take a picture.  Cam2 won't focus and Cam1 I don't get.  Cam2 would turn off and close like a normal build after a short time of no movement  But cam1 would stay on lens open for several minutes.    Then cam1 would not turn back on for at least 5 minutes if I'd walk back in front of it again.  Cam2 would open like normal build.  Both are set at 5 sec. day and 15 sec. night.  

So my main issue now is Cam1 will not power on initially when the SSS board is powered on.  It will power on later once in mode and detects movement but will not shutter a picture.  And once it does power on doesn't seem like it is in trail cam mode because lens stays on open for a long time.  Then once it closes it will not refire/open for at least 5 minutes after it closed.

Thanks for your help guys.  Appreciate it. 

Any chance you have the wires crossed at the board? Make sure the board is to cam type on/off 1

Cam 3 works fine in both cases so I think the board is good.  Yep on cam type on/off1 is set on both boards.    I have no clue at this point.