• Announcements

• Badgerbuckhunter

Prayers for a longtime Member   11/05/2017

The Church mass shooting that happened today, was Peggy Wardens Church. She was one of the people killed today and her grandson was shot in the arm and is in surgery. Lets keep her in our thoughts and prayers. I made a topic in the "Cabin" I will keep everyone updated as I get information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonnie Wilson

Won't Record

6 posts in this topic

I have a brand new Bigfoot control board that is for controlling a DXG 125 video camera. The board has a reed relay and diode added.

When the board is turned on, all start-up procedure is normal and after start up if i move in front of it the camera turns on and records as it should. However it will only start recording if the board batteries are new with a combined voltage of at least 4.5v. Anything less and the camera will still turn on but the record button does not get pushed.

I have other bigfoot boards with the exact same set up and they will still push the record button when the batteries are down to 3.6v or even a bit less.

I can jump the record wires at the reed relay and it will start recording every time so the camera hack is good.

I'm not sure if changing the diode will help or not but will give it a try.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I noticed this year's ago when I was building a ton of dxg125 units. Look at the Reed relay and see if it is a 12v relay. I found some 5v Reed relays and started using them and it solved the problem. 

14 hours ago, Firemanjim said:

I noticed this year's ago when I was building a ton of dxg125 units. Look at the Reed relay and see if it is a 12v relay. I found some 5v Reed relays and started using them and it solved the problem. 

Thanks Jim, i thought you might be the one to solve this.

I checked the reed relay on one of your critter getter boards and the details on it are OMR-C-105H, the details on the relays that are supplied with the Bigfoot boards are OMR-C-112H...I'm guessing the last 2 numbers refer to voltage? So it looks like I have the 12v relays.

I can get a 5v 500 ohm relay here, would that work?

Yes..That should solve your problem.  That would be a 5v relay and requires much less power to energize the coil and activate the reed. 

11 hours ago, Firemanjim said:

Yes..That should solve your problem.  That would be a 5v relay and requires much less power to energize the coil and activate the reed. 

Got some 5v relays, swapped the one from the board thats been power hungry and it now even works with batteries as low as 3.6v.. problem solved. I had even swapped battery holders in the past on my bigfoot boards to AA and even C cells in an effort to get a bit more life out of them...probably not needed with the 5v relay.

Now I can recycle some of the used batteries I've got piled on my bench because once the got to 1.45v it was too risky to leave them in.   Might need to do a recall with some video builds that I've sold as this is a huge improvement. 

When I designed my video board I integrated the reed relay into the board with the diode.  I always hated having to goop the relay and diode down under the board.  Glad it worked for you...Over a 2 year period there is no telling how many DXG125 video builds I done for the Federal Drug Enforcement Adminastration .....Good Luck with your future projects,