Jonnie Wilson

Under Water

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if a trailcam would work under water to get photos of fish around snags? Summer starts tomorrow here and all my cams are back home so I'm trying to amuse myself with something different.

I'm wondering if underwater might be like setting a cam in front of the TV.

Has anyone already tried this?

I think the hard part would be keeping the water out.  I remember someone had a camera out for ducks and the water rose up and over the cam.  Water got inside the case.  I've got a Olympus TG-5, not as a trail cam, and it has an underwater setting.  You can buy a waterproof housing for it.  So I'm not sure what the setting does.  It would be neat to try. 

I've had spiders and crickets trigger the PIR, it doesn't seem possible but it's happened at least five times, so perhaps fish would be picked up by the PIR. But as Coyote 08 said water would probably get in the case. My builds get dunk tested for at least an hour before I'm sure they won't leak, but that's a lot different than several days. I think most folks who've had builds submerged have wound up with water in the case.

11 hours ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

No a our standard PIR system will not work. 

I thought that would be the case. 

Not worried about water getting in as I would only be dropping it over the side while I was fishing, so I can certainly make a 100% waterproof box. 

If the PIR won't work under water, I wonder if the picaxe chip could be programmed to push the shutter say every 30 seconds or so without using the PIR? That would put about 120 pics on the card every hour... should hopefully get a few fish pics. 

Yes, the chip could be programmed to trigger the camera at a set interval.

24 minutes ago, johnnydeerhunter said:

Yes, the chip could be programmed to trigger the camera at a set interval.

Ok, this might actually work. I've got some boards with bad PIRs so could probably use one of those?

The box would only need to be big enough to fit the camera and the board, won't need the fresnal or hole drilled. I've got a pelican 1010 case that will do the job perfectly I would think. Just need to weigh the box down with some lead so it sinks but stays upright to keep the camera vertical. 

JDH if you are able to have a go at the program... if you have some time in the future, I would love have a go at making a fish spy cam.

I can do that, just keep reminding me.lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, johnnydeerhunter said:

I can do that, just keep reminding me.lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate