fireman43

Moultrie flash extender external power

I have a few moultrie external flash extenders (external flashes) and they eat batteries. (these were necessary because Ralph said the timing is different from commercial infrared cams and his product would not work) They take the same 8 AA battery tray (@9v output) that the moultrie cams do.  The moutlrie cams have a 12v external power jack for hooking up a 12v sla for power.  The flashes have no power jack.  Im thinking they can be powered with a 12v sla as well if you solder leads onto the terminal ends of the battery tray. Would some type of regulator be required to keep the voltage in the 9v range? If so what and how.  Im guessing that the cameras have some type of regulator built into them from the factory? 

If the external flashes use 8 AA batteries then that would be 12v, not 9v. I see no reason why you couldn't use a 12v SLA if you have indeed been running them on 8 AA batteries.

Could also be a 6 volt, two sets of 4. Maybe open up one of the extenders and check the wires that go from the batteries to the board.

1 hour ago, johnnydeerhunter said:

Could also be a 6 volt, two sets of 4. Maybe open up one of the extenders and check the wires that go from the batteries to the board.

Yep, I failed to mention that, it could be 2 sets of 4 wired parallel. Good call Johnny.

Thanks.  It is 12v, found some batteries and checked it - problem solved.  

I must have been thinking about the 6 batteries/9v that brownings use...  but since they will power off of a 12v sla, do they have some kind of voltage regulator or something in them? Just curious.