Jonnie Wilson

4K Action Cam

19 posts in this topic

I got a cheap 4k video camera from China to see if I could hack it and make a trailcam out of it. The camera itself is tiny about 2 x 1 1/2 inches, i got it apart and got wires soldered to the power and record buttons, also got wires soldered to the battery terminals for external power. Camera is powered by a 3.6v rechargable battery.

Got it back together and if I touch the power wires together it turns on and if I touch them again it turns off. Only thing is to turn it off the wires need to be together for a couple of seconds. With the camera on if i touch the record wires together it starts to record, touch them again and it stops recording. I think the hack is ok.

I have 2 bigfoot control boards here that I can program for DXG125 videos but have no idea what program I would need to get this camera working with the control board.

Does anyone have any bigfoot programs that i could try with this camera? I can load the programs to the board but cannot write programs.  

Thank you JW

20180217_195808.jpg

I am pretty sure that you will need a specific code for it that keeps the power wires connected long enough for the camera to power off. I can't write code for the Bigfoot boards but maybe some of the other guys can or you can check with Gary to see if he would be willing/have time to do the code for you. I have looked at these cameras several times and thought about trying one but wasn't sure what the quality would be so opted for a GoPro instead. Sounds like this camera operates pretty much the same as the GoPro.

These cameras cost AU$40 about US$30  and because of the compact size if it will work should fit into a pelican 1020 case with room for a couple of 18650 rechargable batteries for external power. The videos are clear and sharp but would need to be set close to the target area as things look further away than the actually are. Didn't attempt to hack the sound mic yet as it's attached directly to the camera board and I can't see how it's soldered on.

A man needs a project so this is mine for a while. 👍

So that's he project for now, but how did the underwater cam with the big lead weight on the bottom work out?

Looks good ... can wait to see the results in the complete build and the vids it takes ... 

Ok so here is the finished 4k video build. 

A big thankyou to ghoot for helping with the board connections as they are opposite to how i hook up the dxg video cams. 

Another big thankyou to bigbassman for tweaking the code timings of a bigfoot program I had.

Without the help of both Gary and Ralph this little project would be still on the shelf.

The build is still very basic with no sound, however now that I know these little cameras will work I intend to get sound up and working after a bit of field testing. 

The first photo is of a pelican 1040 case with the new smaller case 4k video cam beside for comparison. 

IMG_20180306_165130.jpg

20180306_175302.jpg

20180306_175343.jpg

20180306_175358.jpg

Looks good Jonnie. Glad you are making progress on your new project.

Thanks for the help on the code Ralph.  Did you use the DXG 125 program?  Did you have to increase the time to hold power to shut it off?

I believe the DXG 125 code is what was used. I guess I deleted the code from my files by mistake but I am pretty sure I increased the time needed between power up until starting to record and increased the time the power button is held for it to shut off. Perhaps Jonnie will be kind enough to post the code.

Looks good and nice & compact video build. I actually have a few of these in a box and am going to try one as well. Would be interested in seeing the base code as well. I have my own written for jazz so will probably modify that and try it and see what happens.

Got any pics of the hack ?

"EDIT"

I tore into one tonight, figured out the hack, it's a 4 wire, pwr/pwr com - shtr/shtr com.

I added wires for externals at the terminals (upper left) where the shutter board is soldered to the main board but something isn't right with that. I put a single triple A on the wires and it shut the cam down instantly.

All that time and effort to just burn it...lol ... I tried turning it back on but nada.. I tried the hack wires just for the heccuva it and it fired right up.

So it must of burned something on the little power board but at least it still works...lol.. snapped her back together and calling it a night...I'm whipped..

Edited by bulltalk.65

On 13/04/2018 at 1:29 AM, bulltalk.65 said:

Looks good and nice & compact video build. I actually have a few of these in a box and am going to try one as well. Would be interested in seeing the base code as well. I have my own written for jazz so will probably modify that and try it and see what happens.

Got any pics of the hack ?

"EDIT"

I tore into one tonight, figured out the hack, it's a 4 wire, pwr/pwr com - shtr/shtr com.

I added wires for externals at the terminals (upper left) where the shutter board is soldered to the main board but something isn't right with that. I put a single triple A on the wires and it shut the cam down instantly.

All that time and effort to just burn it...lol ... I tried turning it back on but nada.. I tried the hack wires just for the heccuva it and it fired right up.

So it must of burned something on the little power board but at least it still works...lol.. snapped her back together and calling it a night...I'm whipped..

This is how I hacked my camera for power and shutter. I couldn't flip the camera board for a pic of the external power hack as i gooped the wires through the back of the case, but I just soldered directly to where the battery contacts the terminals.

I think you might have your external wires where I have my power wires?

IMG_20180414_105958.jpg

Edited by Jonnie Wilson

10 hours ago, Jonnie Wilson said:

This is how I hacked my camera for power and shutter. I couldn't flip the camera board for a pic of the external power hack as i gooped the wires through the back of the case, but I just soldered directly to where the battery contacts the terminals.

I think you might have your external wires where I have my power wires?

IMG_20180414_105958.jpg

Mine is similar, almost identical other than the lugs on the shutter board. Mine has 3 lugs that are/seem to be connected directly to the battery internal terminals but if I connect an external batt it shuts the cam right off. I edited your pic to show where I have my connections and where the lugs are on mine.

4k cam hack.jpg

On 16/04/2018 at 3:05 AM, bulltalk.65 said:

Mine is similar, almost identical other than the lugs on the shutter board. Mine has 3 lugs that are/seem to be connected directly to the battery internal terminals but if I connect an external batt it shuts the cam right off. I edited your pic to show where I have my connections and where the lugs are on mine.

4k cam hack.jpg

Yes that is where I have my power connections.  I wonder if yours shuts down because the triple A battery is only 1.5v  and the camera runs off 3.7v?  I'm using a 3.7v 18650 battery for external power.

Edited by Jonnie Wilson

Not to sure.. I tried it twice and it shuts down instantly so I didn't want to try any larger voltage...lol

Maybe I'll try that today, I guess if I fry it I won't be losing much...the hack works good and the cam seems to be fair so I thought I jus might try to make an adapter that sits on top of the battery instead of using the external wires.

Edited by bulltalk.65