Sign in to follow this  
bigbassmann

GoPro Hero HD trail cam

Pretty cool stuff Ralph. Can’t wait to set out mine and see what I can drum up for videos as well. What is the make of 18650 batteries you are using in the light side of the build? 

11 hours ago, ghosthunters said:

Pretty cool stuff Ralph. Can’t wait to set out mine and see what I can drum up for videos as well. What is the make of 18650 batteries you are using in the light side of the build? 

Thanks Daryl, hope to see some videos from your build before long. The batteries I have are Ultra Fire 5000 mAh.

Great to see some white light trailcam videos. I tried for ages to get white light led arrays working with my video cams and although I had some success, one blown led would take out a whole bank of leds and it was impossible (for me) to replace just one so the light was then too weak. 

Jonnie, these are the lights I am currently using https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-4-18W-CREE-Led-Work-Fogs-Light-Lamp-Flood-Offroad-Truck-Boat-SUV-ATV-Driving/132256165516?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

I have some 36 watt lights ordered to see how they work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-6-INCH-36W-CREE-LED-Work-Light-Bar-Spot-Flood-Offroad-Car-Fog-Truck-Boat-Lamp/301286205621?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

During my testing I got about 1 hr 40 minutes run time ( each video was 73 seconds so approximately 82 nighttime videos) on the four 18650 Ultra Fire batteries that are running the light and about 3 hours run time on the GoPro battery with 3 AA Tenergy externals for a total of about 148 videos.                 

I looked at those type of arrays a while ago but couldn't workout how to hook it up to the board because it has the inbuilt driver. 

Could that type of array be mounted directly to the top of the camera case? I don't think exposed cables would last too long here with the amount of possums we have.

I am sure you could work out a way to mount it to the camera case but you will need a case large enough to accommodate the power supply for the array also.