bulltalk.65

Newest BH Driveway Alert

8 posts in this topic

Ok, since I have been messing with some new stuff, I wanted to use some of the driveway alerts I have. I have a couple old style and a bunch of new ones I bought about 18 to 20 months ago. After doing some searching I saw Rick Gray had posted some info on the last style used. Well apparently they have changed the boards in them again.

So, I spent most of today messing with one of the newest versions, the newest receiver board is relatively small so can be easily added to a case and the transmitter board with the PIR is quite small as well and can be used easily too...

The latest uses an on/off with low and high for the buzzer all in one switch. It still uses a 14 pin smd chip, I used my bench supply to give it juice and walked around it with my meter. After looking at the traces and going by some info Rick had posted quite sometime ago, it was easy enough to figure out. Pin 8 goes from 0v to 5+v and lights the LEDs when triggered by the remote tx sensor. Since there is 3 led's I decided to cut them off and use the led pad to get my receive signal to send to my picaxe cam board.  Well, it will only work from one of the 3 leds.  From left to right, you want to use the left most led pads, the other 2 can be eliminated.

Something I found though, is the signal no longer does the 2 pulses to the leds like Rick mentioned in the old thread,  it does 3 now and oddly enough even without the speaker (desoldered from the board) you can still here the chime coming from the board although very faint, not enough knowledge to understand how that works...lol

Anyway, so I de-soldered the left most led pads and put in some header pins, connected the positive (plus side of led pad) to my picaxe input) and the negative (ground side of Led) to the picaxe main ground/neg. I used my bench supply set to 5.8v to power the driveway alert RX board and my 12v battery supply for my cam control board (my board has a 5v regulator for it) which gives my little board around 5.68v.

I powered up the driveway alert and my board, 9v batt in the remote sensor and nothing. So, going back to an old thread I had seen where someone mentioned the RX board would need to have a voltage higher then the picaxe low voltage threshold. So, I upped my bench supply to 6.0v, turned everything back on and cool, it works.

The remote tx sensor now sends a signal to the rx board connected to my cam controller,  which then fires up my camera.  It does the basic run thru Ive used for 10 yrs,  warmup, walktest  then standby. One thing I noted, even though the receiver pulses 3 times, it still only signals the picaxe once, which is good because I revised my old cam code to run a bit different then the original code so it goes into standby, senses motion, cam fires up, takes a pic and stays alive for 12 seconds and will fire more pics if movement continues for a 15 second time frame, then shuts down, goes to sleep for a minute delay, then back to standby before being able to wake to motion again.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that, not sure if anyone uses these driveway alerts anymore but thought if they did and had any of the newer ones but weren't sure how to use/hack it here is the info. I took a pic and added some info so you can see what I did.

(John,  still cannot get more than one pic to load per post and it doesn't give me the option to resize or it doesnt auto resize, it wont let me add them at all unless I resize one image to under .24mb)

More pics - new board - board info - Where to hack - closeup - connected - 

new alert 4.jpg

new-alert.jpg

new-alert-2.jpg

new-alert-3.jpg

New-BH-driveway-alert.jpg

new-driveway-alert-hack-1.jpg

Great job on getting that to work for you. Harbor Freight has several item numbers for those driveway alerts. The one you have isn't the ones I use, I always look at the box and find the ones with item number 93068. Even though they are surface mount design they still have the old style receiver module that I remove and use on my own receiver board with only a couple of resistors, a ceramic capacitor and a decoder chip. It can be powered by 4.5v, same power supply that goes to the control board. The receiver boards I use are 7/8" x 1 3/4" 

good job, you guys...

"just thought I'd share that..."  sure minds me about the old days don't it

Edited by Tinhorn

13 hours ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

So when you open a topic you don't see this?

topic.PNG

Hi John,

Yep, I get that screen and if I either drag a photo to the "choose files" or click it and add the photo, it gives me a pop up saying  "image to large, must be .24mb", it never gives me an option to do anything except click the ok buton on the pop up which then brings me back to my post. I'll try to get a screen shot here in a second.

Here is a screen shot of the popup I get when I try to add a photo, it even does it on 640x480 pics so I resize to 600x400 and it will take one but only one. If I click the ok button on that pop up it just puts me back to the post to do again.

hags image popup.png

Edited by bulltalk.65

4 hours ago, bigbassmann said:

Great job on getting that to work for you. Harbor Freight has several item numbers for those driveway alerts. The one you have isn't the ones I use, I always look at the box and find the ones with item number 93068. Even though they are surface mount design they still have the old style receiver module that I remove and use on my own receiver board with only a couple of resistors, a ceramic capacitor and a decoder chip. It can be powered by 4.5v, same power supply that goes to the control board. The receiver boards I use are 7/8" x 1 3/4" 

Yeah that's the one I like as well (93068) but our HF only carries this new part number "61910" and they don't have a specific channel on it, its just labeled 433mHz. I tried to find info on the chip inside (4303) this new one but all I get is a led driver and looking at the pinout I don't think it is (traces are super tiny and the receiver board is just pinned to the main board).. On the last one Rick did he mentioned to use pin 12 or 13 (I think or it was 13&14) as they were LED1 and LED2 but on this new chip, pin 13 goes to the antenna board and pin 14 goes straight to the antenna.

Pin 8 goes low to high and off the receive board to the main board, thru a small smd cap and over to the pos/+ of the leds. The small chip on the main board is unlabeled so I didn't mess with poking my probe to it so not to short it, Not sure what the little 8 pin chip is although it looks like pin 6 of it goes to the led traces as well.

One thing you have to do though is connect the ground to the picaxe ground/neg rail and the voltage really does need to be just a bit higher (6v) than the picaxe voltage (5v) or it doesn't work right.

I spent a little time and tried to figure the pinout on the TX PIR board but so far cant get it. all the pins except for a couple are around 2.5v so it is obviously regulated to 3v somwhere or maybe it has an inside the chip regulator. I cannot find any info on the number on the chip. "EG - G0001" ..I thought it might make a good pir board to use since it has a much smaller board now. Maybe someone else will have better luck at figuring its pinout.