I been working on this thing off and on for a long time (around 10 yrs) and decided to give it another shot to get it working and to finish it. I have used numerous different schematics and even tried to reverse engineer other boards but have failed so many times... Luv2Hunt was kind enough to send me some info on his little PIR board too so I went over his schematic as well and I built it into my "simple cam control" and it didn't work either... So I cut it all apart AGAIN and just sat back for some days to really think on it some more...

Had an epiphany so I figured I would try it again,

I went back to my bench, used my original schematic and built it today (lotta hours and a pain in the rear), Reprogrammed my picaxe chip (the epiphany) and lo and behold, the little bugger works....  Now mind you, I'm half blind, cant remember from one minute to the next anymore and cant feel my numb fingers but I did it... It wasn't easy but its finally done... Thank you Chris (212) for those words of wisdom you shared with me many many years ago, to always be persistent and never give up on anything... Rip brother....

Thanks to many of you guys in here I have never lost interest in this hobby. I may not be able to do the things like I use to now but I'll get it done one way or another...:wink:

Well here it is, my hard work and persistence paid off....:D

MicroRanger v.1.jpg

Way to go. Can't believe you spent 10 years working on and off on getting it going, I would have given up long before that. Chris was an inspiration to so many of us in the hobby, we miss him for sure.

Since i have no idea what you have been working on for 10 years I am going to ask and i am sure a lot of others are thinking the same. Tell us more what are you working on? 

What did you have to change on programming your PICAXE?

23 hours ago, bigbassmann said:

Way to go. Can't believe you spent 10 years working on and off on getting it going, I would have given up long before that. Chris was an inspiration to so many of us in the hobby, we miss him for sure.

Well its been more or less 10 yrs, I didnt work on it the whole time....lol...got busy with life and work and kind of got away from building cams for awhile but since the cancer, I'm home now everyday so am getting back in the swing of things for something to do. I did make the circuit back in 08 but never added the pir portion, I tried a bunch of times and it never seemed to work but I figured what the hec, may as well try again, it took adding the circuit 4 times over the last month, cutting it apart and doing it over, I began to wonder if the schematics floating around were no good...lol

17 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Since i have no idea what you have been working on for 10 years I am going to ask and i am sure a lot of others are thinking the same. Tell us more what are you working on? 

Actually hadnt been working on much of anything since 2012 as far as cams go, did one last year in between surgery and chemo.  Was pretty busy working long days running a loader at a mine for a few years, I did buy and old firebird and was working on restoring it,  it has been on hold for over a year now since the cancer diagnosis and surgeries. upcoming projects, I'll be working on some cams, trying to get an old project finished that John mentioned "project 3 eyes" thats been sitting for 8 yrs and working on some wireless video builds (my first video build). I dont have much energy these days so it will be days maybe weeks between builds, unlike years ago pumping a few out per week...lol

12 hours ago, ghoot said:

What did you have to change on programming your PICAXE?

Hey Gary,

Man I'll tell you, I was scratchin my head for awhile with this thing.. After you mentioned the code I got to looking around different programming threads and thought maybe I'd see something I was missing.

Well, the epiphany I had was remembering reading that some of these PIRs (RE200b) need a good amount of time to stabilize and after looking through my code, the warmup was really only about 12 seconds before jumping into walktest so I bumped that up to around 20 seconds thinking that would fix it. Well it didnt. I had seen somewhere else (Rick Gray I think) had done or said something about the voltage needing to be higher at the picaxe pir input then the picaxe low voltage threshold. I assume that meant the pir input voltage should be higher than the picaxe input voltage so I added a 1N4001 between the 5v regulator and pin 1 of the picaxe.

The voltage was fluctuating so bad at the input to the picaxe so it was hard to tell what it was doing. I make shifted the pir lense on the board to continue testing it, but it still wasnt working right. I thought the voltage was going low at the input on a few measurements so I thought how bout changing my code to read - "if pin3=0 then" instead of "if pin3=1 then" and try it so I did and low and behold it fired up and was working. I left it on my bench yesterday for 4 hours just sitting there and it was working flawless.

Maybe I jumped the gun......

I finished up yesterday and thought I'll leave it to run overnight so I shut it off and put new batteries in my camera, turned it back on and blah, not working again, doing just what it did before, after warmup and goes into walktest,  the led just flashes every few seconds, no motion detected, it just flashes the led now just like it did all the other times I have built it...lol..

So, I'm back to square one today to see if I can map out the issue.. it was working perfect for 4 hours yesterday so I know the circuit works, just have to figure out why it stopped working perfect....:blink:

EDIT - Fixed it.....

Ok, realized what it was doing. I went back, reprogrammed the chip, put the pause back at the beginning, made it 20 seconds to give the pir time to stabilize before doing anything so now its warmup is around 40 seconds total before walktest, I changed the "if pin3 =0" back to original "if pin3=1" and went back to bench, plugged everything in and it is working correctly again... I'll leave it there all day and keep checking it and giving it motion to activate the standby to keep it working.... so far so good...:)

Edited by bulltalk.65

Not sure if you done this or not.....but if you will put a 1M resistor to ground on one side of the resistor and put the other side of the resistor in line to the picaxe it will help "stabalize" the signal to the picaxe....

Just now, Firemanjim said:

Not sure if you done this or not.....but if you will put a 1M resistor to ground on one side of the resistor and put the other side of the resistor in line to the picaxe it will help "stabalize" the signal to the picaxe....

Yes sir, I have a 1 meg between ground and pin3 (leg 4) on the picaxe. The next thing I may do just to see what happens is to remove the twin diodes coming from the 2 outputs  (pin 8 and 14) of the 14 pin chip to the pir input. with those 2 and the other 2 in the circuit it seems to drop the voltage to the picaxe pir input which by right, everything I read, the voltage coming from the 14 pin chip to the picxe should be higher than the picaxe input voltage. Not really sure though.. I have it working again on the bench so I guess maybe leave well enough alone unless it decides to stop working again....lol

Edited by bulltalk.65

I think the voltage coming out of the 14 pin chip should be about half of the voltage that you are running the circuit off of.  So say you are running on 5V, you should be getting roughly 2.5V.  So something above that would make the picaxe pin go HIGH and below that would make it go LOW.