bulltalk.65

Video cams - what's new

19 posts in this topic

I want to build some more video units but really would like to find something a little faster from power on to record.

I have a few more jazz and dxgs but there has to be something out there that will begin record at power up that's better than 4 seconds.

Anyone know of any that are available and quicker than the ones mentioned that can be ir hacked?

Geo

There are a few cams that take video during the days and color pictures at night if that interests you

Sure, something like that would be cool.

I jus really would like some better video, hd quality. I like the jazz and dxg but want better vids. If I need to do something like day vid/nite pic that would be cool.

Is there a newer decent high mp camera that has a switch for for movie mode,, 10 mp or better?

Can go with the Fuji JZ100 or the JZ250 or the Panasonic SZ7 or SZ9 or the fh8. There are some Olympus cameras used also. Then pair them with one of Ralph's boards for day video and night stills and a slave flash

The SZ7 and SZ9 uses 1080 HD videos the others are 720

Thanks kdornski, I will check some of those out.

Well, after looking around for days I figure I'll just build what I have.

I've picked up numerous (way to many) little camcorders over the years and pulled out the box of them.

I tested 8 of them and believe this, I found a pocket camcorder that will power on to record faster than a p32 will snap a pic and it holds settings after power down and back on.

I've only ever hacked cams that had info available but this had none (that I could find or know of anyway) so I figured if I at least try maybe I can figure it out, if I fry it then oh well.

I spent an hour or so last night on it and low and behold, I got the hack figured out.

It is a 4 wire, power/pwr com and shutter/shut com. External battery is easy and the lugs are huge. The mic is simple as well. I also figured out how to change mode from vid to cam and zoom as well if someone wanted to get creative..

I photoed my way through it to doc it. 

The lens, unfortunately is small and I haven't been able to locate one yet and since I didn't have any to try I didn't mess with that, ill save that for later.

Routing wires was pretty easy and the bottom of the cam had two small cutouts already (I'm guessing for a strap) so exiting with 8 wires was a piece of cake.

I'll slap the pics together in a PDF then post it in the next day or so.

Pros: super fast for video, standard SD card, internal memory 32gb/ext 8gb . HD video, narrower and thinner than jazz150 and dxg567, fairly easy hack. 

Cons: lens, need to find one for IR convert, very small solder points, day only for now. Availability, internal battery is a 3.7 rechargeable.

After hacking it (I have 3) I thought I'd see if there is any out there available, unfortunately only found a few and the price range is a fifty bill if you can find one.

I'll update this later...😉

Edited by bulltalk.65

On 4/29/2018 at 6:23 AM, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Be interested to see what cam it is 😁

Sorry bout that, i thought I put that in my post.

Believe it or not, its a Jazz.....lol

jazz.jpg

Well certainly an economical project there's a couple of new ones (still in original unopened package) on ebay for $10. Might have to look at a project down the track 😊

7 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Well certainly an economical project there's a couple of new ones (still in original unopened package) on ebay for $10. Might have to look at a project down the track 😊

Not sure which eBay but there isn't any on the US eBay. Only  hdv155's that I've seen and those are like the others, 5-1/2 to 6 second startup to record. You definitely don't want the flip out screen one either..

There is two hdv159's on Amazon but 49 bux each is to much for me to burn on something to hack....lol

4 hours ago, bulltalk.65 said:

Not sure which eBay but there isn't any on the US eBay. Only  hdv155's that I've seen and those are like the others, 5-1/2 to 6 second startup to record. You definitely don't want the flip out screen one either..

There is two hdv159's on Amazon but 49 bux each is to much for me to burn on something to hack....lol

Yup on www.ebay.com (USA ebay). Just checked again and it is still there.  Exactly the same as the image you posted.. I could post up a screenshot but I don't think that necessary. I put "Jazz camcorder" into the search and it is the second item. It is $10

4 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Yup on www.ebay.com (USA ebay). Just checked again and it is still there.  Exactly the same as the image you posted.. I could post up a screenshot but I don't think that necessary. I put "Jazz camcorder" into the search and it is the second item. It is $10

That's weird, I don't see any hdv159's.

the only one I see for 10 bux (7.75ship) new in the similar package is a dv151 (flipout screen). Same style package but not the same cam. You want the hdv159.

IMG_20180501_072327_1_380x530.jpg

IMG_20180501_072338_1_380x530.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

That camera sure looks like a revised Flip HD video camera. Ralph did the hack on the Flip and posted a video of it. I've got a Flip build out in the field right now and may go get it this afternoon. With the Flip you need two cameras since it records the videos internally, not on a removable card.

5 hours ago, Woody Meristem said:

That camera sure looks like a revised Flip HD video camera. Ralph did the hack on the Flip and posted a video of it. I've got a Flip build out in the field right now and may go get it this afternoon. With the Flip you need two cameras since it records the videos internally, not on a removable card.

This one (hdv159) uses an 8g SD card, no flip out screen. The hack is different than the flip screen jazz .

It has a 2" tft screen and Powers up to record in less than 2 seconds. The only draw back is I can't find a lens to change it to IR. So it would need an exchanger unless you do a white light.

I've only hacked one of mine so far and didn't mess with the lens. It looks like the lens base is glued down with epoxy and the lens itself was glued solid. The next one I open I'll see what I can do with the lens without breaking things.

It's a real nice little camcorder, little pricey though if you screw up on the hack. Hard to find too.. I had these for awhile and never even fired one up till this past week and was surprised at the speed, something I've been looking for for a long time and had them right under my desk in a box.. lol

I tried to put together a hack instruction pdf using the pics I took,  Never did one before but I think you can follow along, I commented the steps as best I could.

Tried to upload it but it wont let me so not sure how to get it in here. I'll load it to one of my old domains and use a link to here for now, maybe John can upload it somewhere..

Jazz HDV159 Hack Instruction PDF