bulltalk.65

IR Hacked Jazz HDV159 -Day focus and night test with white light

Thought I would test this jazz hdv159 with a bunch of different lenses and light combinations to see how I want to use them in a build.

This jazz is IR hacked, I removed the stock lens and lens base, used a bb233 lens barrel and modified it to fit and used the standard 3.6mm lens that came with it. I wanted to test it in bright day light and then test at night using a 12v white light I found.

It doesn't look to bad considering I hacked the hec out of the bb233 lens base to make it work. You can see it doesn't/isn't focused around the edges but the main frame/center looks pretty good.

The light I found was 16 bucks on ebay from china. It has 12 bright white leds (also has 4 blue) and seems to be pretty bright, runs on 10v to 12v. I have never used a white light on a trail cam other than white flash still cams so thought it might be interesting to see animal reaction to a day lit night time video.

Anyway, both test vids below..

Edited by bulltalk.65

Looks good to me.

I prefer the white light arrays and it doesn't seem to bother the animals at all.  

Once a big old sambar doe walked right up to the array for a closer look and stuck her nose on it....she didnt't like the burnt nostrels that's for sure.

Thanks guys.

I think it will work. I'm going to try to use some different diffuser material from a flouresent light to see if it will help reduce that spotlight right in the middle. The diffuser that came in it seemed to focus each beam and it really had a spot in the middle.

This is the light I picked up.

6" 30watt cree driving light

They have another one that is a 4" 60 watt with 20 cree LEDs, going to try that one too, it's only 11 bucks..

IMG_20180515_060940.jpg

Why would you convert the camera to IR and then use a white light array.  Is it to allow for future use of an IR LED array? (Sorry, reread your original post and saw that you are trying different arrays.  Should have read more carefully.)

The focus looks pretty good and the white light does a good job of lighting things up.

I have an old Jazz DV150 that I am trying to get the courage up to hack and make into a video unit.

Edited by Berniebac

2 hours ago, Berniebac said:

Why would you convert the camera to IR and then use a white light array.  Is it to allow for future use of an IR LED array? (Sorry, reread your original post and saw that you are trying different arrays.  Should have read more carefully.)

The focus looks pretty good and the white light does a good job of lighting things up.

I have an old Jazz DV150 that I am trying to get the courage up to hack and make into a video unit.

Not sure if you know (& if had not been following this post I wouldn't) the DV150 has a horribly slow start up time. It would be better using the DV159.

3 hours ago, Berniebac said:

I had already IR hacked the 159 with plans for a new IR unit with 1watt luxeons..  I had also planned to do a white light video unit and just did the test with the IR hacked cam just to see how it would use the light and focus.

Dive in Berniebac, the hack on the DV150 isn't to bad, just take your time with it...

The dv150 has about a 5 second fireup to record but if you use a driveway alert for a remote sensor you can set the remote PIR up trail to trigger the cam and have it going. Unless it's for a feeder/bait setup then it probly won't matter to much.

Edited by bulltalk.65

On 5/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Not sure if you know (& if had not been following this post I wouldn't) the DV150 has a horribly slow start up time. It would be better using the DV159.

Yes I did see that, but when you have one laying around you might as well put it to use.  And I would likely use it as a feeder cam for the most part.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, bulltalk.65 said:

I had already IR hacked the 159 with plans for a new IR unit with 1watt luxeons..  I had also planned to do a white light video unit and just did the test with the IR hacked cam just to see how it would use the light and focus.

Dive in Berniebac, the hack on the DV150 isn't to bad, just take your time with it...

The dv150 has about a 5 second fireup to record but if you use a driveway alert for a remote sensor you can set the remote PIR up trail to trigger the cam and have it going. Unless it's for a feeder/bait setup then it probly won't matter to much.

I haven't built a cam since about 2012, so I am way behind in the driveway alert technology.  That does sound like an interesting approach to have the cam ready when a critter gets in range.  I may have to do a lot of research on it to figure out how that works, but it might be worth the effort.  I could have bought two of the DV159's from a local store for $30.00 each but I thought I read somewhere that they were not suited to our use.  Oh well, snooze you loose!!

On 17/05/2018 at 10:14 PM, Berniebac said:

Yes I did see that, but when you have one laying around you might as well put it to use.  And I would likely use it as a feeder cam for the most part.

Great good luck with the build 😊