Berniebac

Jazz DV 150 Video Problem Followng Hacking

Well Bulltalk.65's work on his Jazz DV 159 cams inspired me to hack an old Jazz DV150 I have had hanging around for a long time.  I had a commercial cam that was not working so I tore it apart on Friday to see if I could get it to work but it was a no go.  So I decided to salvage some parts out of it and jumped in to hacking my old Jazz instead.  The hack went pretty well.  Really tight solder points for my old eyes but I got it done and can't see any solder bridges.  Since I had the lens out of the commercial cam I thought I would put it and its exchanger in my Jazz build,  I got the new lens installed, the hack completed and put it all back together.  The hack worked fine when I touch the wires together.  The cam comes on and it will start to record, so I think that is all correct.

I did some focusing just looking at the camera screen and it looks pretty good.  So I decided to record a video to check on the focus and it is not recording correctly.  I get a video image that is all broken up.  Seems to be a bunch of square pixels, but you can see the where the cam is moving and recording images.  I don't know how to upload the video to show you and I don't know how to better describe it.

I am wondering what I could have done wrong to ruin it recording a video.  My thoughts are:

1) Solder bridge, but like I said above I can't see one,

2) I did break the copper tape on the switch board at the point it is soldered to the main board.  Would this cause recording problems?

3) Damaged cmos? When I screwed on the new lens could it have touched the cmos and damaged it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'll see if I can figure out how to upload my video to show you.

Well that is a strange one!!!  I uploaded the video to Youtube so I could insert it in this thread and the video looks great on Youtube.  When I viewed it on my computer it was all broken up.  Below is the link to the video on Youtube.  Looks like the cam is working fine.  Wonder why my computer would not show the same video?  I'm confused!  I think the focus needs a little more work.

Mine does the same if I play it off the card, if I download the card to the computer it may do the same, but the second time it will work perfect.

2 hours ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

Mine does the same if I play it off the card, if I download the card to the computer it may do the same, but the second time it will work perfect.

Thanks for confirming that it may be somewhat of a normal operation.  I almost tossed the camera thinking I had ruined it.  It seems like a strange way for a camera/memory card to operate.

I am not sure if it is the card, I almost believe it has more to do with your computer. If you never shut down your computer, I would recommend it. When shutting down don't select "shutdown and restart" select "shutdown" Another thing is make sure you format your cards before using and format them with the Jazz and also get used to selecting "eject" before removing the card from your reader.

Good job Berniebac, those little solder points definitely get harder as the years go by but it looks like you got it. 

The jazz has an AV plug on it, use that and plug into your TV set and focus using that as the monitor, it works much better than trying to focus with the jazz' little lcd screen.

As far as the broken video, I have run into that a few times over the years as well, I think it has to do with playing direct from the card to pc, if you download the vid or copy and paste to your desktop it usually will play normal. Never have figured out why they do that at times. I do what John mentioned regularly shutting down but still run into the same thing once in a while.

Also, good job on swiping the lens from that commercial cam and getting it to work right on the jazz. Usually the CMOS sensor is matched to the lens and barrel assemblies so getting them to work or focus right with a different cmos most times wont work...