bulltalk.65

Auto on camera

For you builder coder guys.

I have a video cam that im messing with and it doesnt have a power on button, it is directly plugged into the supply.

I want to control it with my picaxe control board for on/off like a still cam to save on battery juice.

So, Im thinking that I would connect supply volts to the camera and supply neg to a sister board "bat -" and the camera neg to sister board "acc -" then connect the sister board "control board -" and "control board on" to the control board opto, is that correct?

Basically connect the camera to a sister board just like any other accesory to turn it on and off ?

Or am I off in my thinking...

I would connect it to a output instead of a opto. Not sure the opto will trigger the sister board get to close. The sister boards are designed to work with a output but try it and see...may work with a opto. I personally have never tried it. 

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Ok, Below is a mock up of how I had to connect it. I did use a sister board to power it on, it works perfect that way, just like turning on an array, had to change the code to fit but it works like a charm.

BUT, here is the problem now. The record button is a micro momentary button, just like anything else. It does have a pos side and a neg side, so I soldered a wire to each side of the button. A quick touch after the cam goes thru its powerup and it begins to record. Here is the odd part, if you touch the shutter button pos wire to cam ground/neg, it wont record, if you connect it to the control board ground/neg, nothing but if you touch itself to itself, it begins to record.

I hope that makes sense, this thing has me scratchin my head. When discoed from anything other than battery power, you can touch the pos side of the shutter button to the cam powers common and it will begin to record, if you touch it to its own common, it will begin to record.

So, with that seeming normal to any other type of cam hack, it should by all rights connect to the board and do the same correct???

Well, it doesn't. it will only begin to record, if touched to itself when connected to the board. really really weird.

So, I am assuming here, I will need to rework a pin on my board so I can connect it like its power and the array/mic amp etc to be able to ground itself correctly to turn the record on. Is that thinking on the right lines?

I have been on this most of the day, had to rewrite my own board code to get it up and going and thought I had it whipped until it was all connected up. I even tried connecting the shutter/record button to a sister board of its own and still, it will not connect itself to shutter/record....

Any ideas of how this button is working, is it a ground to pos type of switch, so it is always powered until it grounds for a second to itself or ?

cam wiring.jpg

Ok, after numerous hours of screwing with this thing, I at least have it powering up and now recording. I had to cut the trace on my board and do a direct wire from the picaxe pin to the shutter pos wire and bypass the opto all together. 

Here is the odd part. Using the record switch/button, it is somehow a momentary but latching switch connected to itself. Or is controlled via a chip on the cameras board (not real sure). There was an extra solder hole on the cameras mother board, it is labeled "io".   So, I cut off my wires I soldered to the record button and soldered a single wire to that empty pad on the cameras board. 

Guess what, it is a pwm input on the camera so the record button can be bypassed and controlled via a micro but I still need to use a sister board to use it.

Ok, now were talkin but what a headache trying to figure this out...

So, I reprogrammed my code to control that io using a 200ms signal and now when the cam is powered up through motion, the code sends the shutter signal straight thru that io port on the camera and starts the camera recording..... whew, that was a process.

But, here is the question, when using that io input on the board, there is no ground/neg,  just one wire. But the record button has 2, a pos side and a ground/neg side (when touched together starts recording if discoed from my control board). So how is that switch traced into this io input and how does it function process wise?

When using the 2 wires I connected to the record button itself, they worked just like other hacks, touch together and records/snaps a pic. If touched together while connected to the cam control board, you get nothing, if the cam control board is powered up and runs thru the code, it still did nothing, even when the shutter/record button was directly connected to a pin.

Anyone have an idea of how this record button and io would be connected together on the cameras mother board and yet be ungrounded using the io but yet have to be grounded at the record button wires to get it to record???

Stumper of the day..... at least it is for me... 😵

I do have one problem now though. Since the io wire is using its own picaxe pin, it is separately controlled via the picaxe. so I connected it up using a sister board but now I have back feed voltage to my control board. after shutting the unit down, my walk test led has a very faint glow. So I tested different spots on the board and there is power coming into my control board via the cameras battery supply through the sister board to my amp/array outputs on my board. 

I checked the picaxe too, it had 2.36v at the +/- pins so it is definitely backfeeding the control board circuit. Now that cant be good for anything including battery life. So how do I eliminate that from happening, a diode in series with the output that controls the shutter or the output to the sister board???

Edited by bulltalk.65

Man, years ago the above would have had numerous replies within hours, now its been over a month and nothing.. Thats really sad to see.. 😞

Edited by bulltalk.65

Sorry George,  if l could help in any way at all l would but it is way beyond me. If l lived closer l would love to come and hang out as l am absolutely positive l would learn plenty.

2 hours ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

It is sad, but keep it up, I like what your doing. I wish you lived closer!

Yeah , maybe if we come up with something really cool people will come back to pep this place up again.. I'll keep doin it, all I have is time on my hands so Im gonna just start workin out ideas and see what I come up with...lol   

That would be cool if we were all closer... would be some fun brain stormin sessions thats for sure....lol

1 hour ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Sorry George,  if l could help in any way at all l would but it is way beyond me. If l lived closer l would love to come and hang out as l am absolutely positive l would learn plenty.

no worries brother, helping me is seeing others posting back with replies, that makes the time spent messing with this stuff worthwhile especially if we come up with something that works for everyone to try out..

It would be fun hanging out, like mentioned above, it could bring some whopper ideas to the table with a good group all brain stormin together and learning things at the same time..,,,

12 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Your in California yer? I go to the USA every September bow hunting for a month then attend taxidermy courses, so l might drop in one day

Hey that would be cool.. where do you hunt in cali?  Im in nor cal, hour north of sacramento.

Youll have to message me before this coming season. Im hopin to be in better shape next season so i can put in for the zone i usually apply for. Already have 2 pts so i should be guaranteed a tag next season.

George, l have friends in Wyoming and Montana I have a bunch of points for deer and elk again so l will be heading there as usual. I land in LAX so l could hire a truck and come visit.

Have you checked for continuity across the switch to see if it's working like a normal opened switch?

On 12/20/2018 at 5:55 AM, ghoot said:

Have you checked for continuity across the switch to see if it's working like a normal opened switch?

Hi Gary,

Actually I didnt,..  hadnt given much thought to the switch being a problem since the cam functions like it should through all board operations (day vid/night vid, leds on, mic on etc) so will check that out..It may just be the way I wired it so I'll have to go back thru the whole thing to see what I can come up with. stuffs just not as easy as it use to be...lol