bulltalk.65

Paradise Fire

Just wanted to share here about the fire were dealing with here.

It is horrible to see the devastation first hand. Im only 15 miles south east of the actual fire and am in paradise all the time for oncology doctor appts.

It is crazy to see that most of the town is gone including one of the best hospitals in CA gone.

Im saddened to see so many people that have lost life or home.

As of this morning, 43 people have died, burned to death trying to escape the fire. Around 20 died in their cars driving thru the fire to get out. There are still over a hundred missing. 6500+ homes burned to nothing and almost 300 business' gone.

Our town of oroville is overwhelmed with the traffic and evacuees. Our church right down the street is now a homeless shelter with thousands of people staying there às are most other places that opened their doors for evacuees.

I hope that you all can share a prayer for everyone here that is displaced or lost family.

My prayers go out to all the 5000+ brave firefighters and emergency personell that are putting their lives on the line during this time of crisis.

To Bob, Jeff, Cindy and Carl, Were praying for you to be safe out there battling those flames.

For you all that havent heard or seen, you can go to youtube and type in "paradise fire" or "paradise camp fire" to see details.

Edited by bulltalk.65

2 minutes ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

Stay safe! It is crazy! How likely is it to come your way.? Any relief in site?

As of this morning, were doing good. wind shift is keeping it in an easterly run which is good because less population (bad for the canyon dwellers and the forest), but it has jumped the river in a few places so it is on our side of the canyon now in small patches which are being worked on for control. They have made it clear, to be ready and packed in case heavy winds shift the fires south again. Its not so much the fire, its the smoke carrying the hot embers that is the primary danger.  I hope they can contain it. Last time we had an evac for the dams spillway incident, it was one of the craziest things to see, people in panic mode all trying to leave the town at once created the most ridiculous cluster you have ever seen. There is only 2 main ways out of town and everyone and their uncle was using them and jammed the town up for miles and miles. It was taking about 6 hours to get 5 miles.

It is 30% contained and has burned 130,000 acres according to this am's report.

Since the wind died down a bit and shifted east again, it isnt so smoky so far today but it has been horrible for smoke. almost as bad as the last fire I posted about back in 08/09. 

I go outside for a while or in my garage to work on my cams or whatever and come back in and I reek like I been standing over a campfire thats how bad it is. Yesterday I went in the garage and it was hazy in there but thats because I always keep the back door open for the dogs.

As far as relief, no idea if there is an end in sight. the gas pumps here are literally like back in the gas crunch in the 70's, lines of cars. Some stations are out of fuel, water and food. I guess thats what happens when you have an overnight influx of 30,000 people.

hope you guys are still ok, all my friends here in Missouri talk about how bad it is there and hope it gets ok there soon...

Stay safe and hope all is well.

Dang George, that is terrible.  Hoping and praying that you and the family are OK.