Jump to content

Finished up latest build - Sony W30 w/ Slave


Recommended Posts

This was a fun little project. I took snaps shots of the process and made a vid so you can see the build from start to finish including L/N and final hydro dip. I had a major screw up at the end so there is no shots of the actual dip. I had removed my tape from the flash lens, snorkel and hpwa to test it and forgot to put it back on before I dipped it, I realized that at the moment I dipped it into the tank so had to go into full emergency mode and get the lenses cleaned before the hydro film ink setup... Took a bit of work but I got them all cleaned off.... Dont do what I did, it is a real pain to get that off of IR filter material....lol

I used a wally case with a sony w30 and a viv 2k slave and one of the micro critter getters and the critter getter slave controller that Jim sent me to control it all... It has a 2315 pipe thru, and a 3.7v batt for ext cam power as well.. Turned out pretty good and works like a champ.

 

 

IR lens hack Sony W30 w50 and W55.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Top looking build there George, that hydro dip sure makes for a nice finish. I will be interested to see some images from this build. I know little about the black flash material you used. So is it just a matter of using that black material instead of the normal clear glass to make that black flash? Also l noticed that you have a camo coloured fresnel is the camo paint going to affect the performance of the PIR?

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Top looking build there George, that hydro dip sure makes for a nice finish. I will be interested to see some images from this build. I know little about the black flash material you used. So is it just a matter of using that black material instead of the normal clear glass to make that black flash? Also l noticed that you have a camo coloured fresnel is the camo paint going to affect the performance of the PIR?

Thank you. 

The hydro film is nice but when using it over the liquid nails, sometimes it doesn't get all the way into the grooves of the textured surface in places. I usually just cover any bad spots using a q-tip and camo paint to touch it up...

As far as the "black flash" material, it's just IR filter material. It makes for a sort of "black flash" cam by filtering the flash strobe when using a cam that the lens is IR hacked. I think this one is in 850nm spectrum.

You can color up the Fresnel with a marker or use really thinned spray paint. I usually use some camo spray paint (walmart) and spray some into a paper towel that's soaked with thinner, then use a q-tip to dab lines onto the fresnal really thin. If you use a black or brown felt sharpie marker, you can just slob it on and it works just like normal. With paint you have to keep it water thin.

I probably won't get any pictures anytime soon, it's looking like heavy snow coming over the next few days where I hunt down to 3000ft elevation. but if it doesn't I may take a trip up and a couple cams and try to get a few pics.

My profile pic is from a unit using the same slave with a w55, very close in pic quality to give you an idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, bulltalk.65 said:

Thank you. 

The hydro film is nice but when using it over the liquid nails, sometimes it doesn't get all the way into the grooves of the textured surface in places. I usually just cover any bad spots using a q-tip and camo paint to touch it up...

As far as the "black flash" material, it's just IR filter material. It makes for a sort of "black flash" cam by filtering the flash strobe when using a cam that the lens is IR hacked. I think this one is in 850nm spectrum.

You can color up the Fresnel with a marker or use really thinned spray paint. I usually use some camo spray paint (walmart) and spray some into a paper towel that's soaked with thinner, then use a q-tip to dab lines onto the fresnal really thin. If you use a black or brown felt sharpie marker, you can just slob it on and it works just like normal. With paint you have to keep it water thin.

I probably won't get any pictures anytime soon, it's looking like heavy snow coming over the next few days where I hunt down to 3000ft elevation. but if it doesn't I may take a trip up and a couple cams and try to get a few pics.

My profile pic is from a unit using the same slave with a w55, very close in pic quality to give you an idea.

You say "the lens is IR hacked". Ok so is the lens different in some way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

You say "the lens is IR hacked". Ok so is the lens different in some way?

Yep, When I tear down one of these w30, w50 or w55's to hack I pull the lens out and remove the filter from under the ccd so the cam will see full spectrum (IR) and then put it back together. to me, most every time the camera takes a more clear picture with the lens hacked and the settings set to black and white.

I havent tried yet (never enough time in the day for every one of my brainstorm ideas...lol) but am going to see how well it sees an IR array, if it does better than the older sonys (p41 etc) I'm going to hack one for black and white day pics and IR night video (maybe use a servo to turn the dial on the cam).

I took a bunch of pics on one of the lenses I hacked, I'll put together a little video and a pdf and load it up. It really is a super easy hack, much easier than the p series cams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well, tried uploading a small pdf instructional but it wont let me....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/30/2018 at 8:16 AM, bulltalk.65 said:

Yep, When I tear down one of these w30, w50 or w55's to hack I pull the lens out and remove the filter from under the ccd so the cam will see full spectrum (IR) and then put it back together. to me, most every time the camera takes a more clear picture with the lens hacked and the settings set to black and white.

I havent tried yet (never enough time in the day for every one of my brainstorm ideas...lol) but am going to see how well it sees an IR array, if it does better than the older sonys (p41 etc) I'm going to hack one for black and white day pics and IR night video (maybe use a servo to turn the dial on the cam).

I took a bunch of pics on one of the lenses I hacked, I'll put together a little video and a pdf and load it up. It really is a super easy hack, much easier than the p series cams.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:11 PM, bulltalk.65 said:

Thank you. 

The hydro film is nice but when using it over the liquid nails, sometimes it doesn't get all the way into the grooves of the textured surface in places. I usually just cover any bad spots using a q-tip and camo paint to touch it up...

As far as the "black flash" material, it's just IR filter material. It makes for a sort of "black flash" cam by filtering the flash strobe when using a cam that the lens is IR hacked. I think this one is in 850nm spectrum.

You can color up the Fresnel with a marker or use really thinned spray paint. I usually use some camo spray paint (walmart) and spray some into a paper towel that's soaked with thinner, then use a q-tip to dab lines onto the fresnal really thin. If you use a black or brown felt sharpie marker, you can just slob it on and it works just like normal. With paint you have to keep it water thin.

I probably won't get any pictures anytime soon, it's looking like heavy snow coming over the next few days where I hunt down to 3000ft elevation. but if it doesn't I may take a trip up and a couple cams and try to get a few pics.

My profile pic is from a unit using the same slave with a w55, very close in pic quality to give you an idea.

You say "the lens is IR hacked". Ok so is the lens different in some way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Trevor,  pm me your email and I'll send you the pdf I made with instructions on how to hack the lens. Its different in that you remove the filter from the ccd so it then will see full spectrum (IR).

Maybe John (Badgerbuckhunter) can email me too and I can send him the pdf to load here on site. I think there is one here somewhere that tbass did years ago but I'll be darned if I can locate it so I just made a quick and simple one that just shows the steps for removing the filter.

IR lens hack Sony W30 w50 and W55.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
8 hours ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

hagshousehelp@att.net

Thanks John, its on its way... 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 

 

18 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Sent George  😊

Trevor, I sent a copy over this morning via yet email...😉

10 hours ago, Badgerbuckhunter said:

Provided by Bulltalk.65 thanks George for the info.

IR lens hack Sony W30 w50 and W55.pdf

Thanks John... I'll do a video here in the next days and post it too..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
  • Who's Online (See full list)
     
     

    There are no registered users currently online

     
  • Members
     
     

    No members to show

     
  • Member Statistics
     
     
    • Total Members
      6,959
    • Most Online
      866

    Newest Member
    davidflaming
    Joined
     
  • Forum Statistics
     
     
    • Total Topics
      54,915
    • Total Posts
      414,396
     
  • Recent Status Updates
     
     
     
  • Members
     
     

    No members to show

     
  • Member Statistics
     
     
    • Total Members
      6,959
    • Most Online
      866

    Newest Member
    davidflaming
    Joined
     
  • Recent Status Updates
     
     
     
×
×
  • Create New...