Sign in to follow this  
bigbassmann

GoPro Herp HD with wireless array test

This is a compilation of GoPro Hero HD trail camera footage using a wireless light array system for the night time videos. All of the videos were 1 minute 10 seconds long but I shortened most to reduce the time of the video compilation in the link below. I have been testing the wireless array system to determine if it will work as intended and so far it is working great. The light I am using is a 12 volt 18 watt LED array that is intended for use on off road vehicles and I am powering the light with four 18650 batteries. Last year I was using the same GoPro trail camera with 2 of the 18 watt lights but the lights were attached to the camera using a cable made up of about a 12 foot length of 16 gauge speaker wire and waterproof connectors to attach the cables to the camera case and the light cases and that system worked really great but limits positioning of the lights. It is also prone to animals possibly getting tangled in the cables and tearing down the lights and camera. With the wireless light system, light positioning is no longer limited by cable length and no worries about possible damage because of animals getting entangled in the wires or chewing through them. Although during this testing I had the light positioned about 1 foot above the camera, I have tested the light at various distances from the camera case transmitter and it was triggering consistently out to 30 feet and more. More than one light can be used with this setup but each light will require a receiver and a small pcb that has a latching relay. I will be making another video in the near future that shows all of the equipment that I am using for this GoPro video trail cam setup which will include the transmitter and receiver that is used and the pcb relay board that I made and how it all needs to be wired up to make this wireless system work. I will likely get some boards made up that will have the relay mounted along with a screw terminal for attaching the wires needed for the light array and will have those available in the near future on my website if anyone is interested in using this light system. Many thanks to Dan Potter for his help in making this wireless lighting system possible.

For the test videos I had the camera mounted on a stand I made using a section of 4x4 post. The camera was placed about 10-12 feet from the bait and the light was positioned about 1 foot above the camera. Various scrap food items were used as bait as well as a mineral block in the hopes of attracting whitetail deer but all I was able to entice was an opossum, a cat and a couple of raccoons during this test session. The camera used is an old model GoPro Hero HD that can shoot in 1080p, the internal microphone was removed from the camera and I added an electret mic that is soldered to wires which were then soldered to the internal mic wire locations. this allows the electret mic to be routed through a hole in the camera case for outdoor audio capture. The camera and light system is controlled using the Safari Camera Controller with a Mosfet Backpacker.

Edited by bigbassmann

Really nice but you do know you shouldn't show that to retired builders or they might want one or a few of them LOL

5 hours ago, kdornski said:

Really nice but you do know you shouldn't show that to retired builders or they might want one or a few of them LOL

Ken, some guys need to come out of retirement but they just don't realize it. My job is to give them a little encouragement and a nudge in the right direction. LOL

Nice work.