Sign in to follow this  
arrowsmith

Wet circuit boards?

This is not a game camera issue, but many of you guys are so good with electronics that I thought I'd send this note to see if some of you have advice.

I'm disabled and use a power wheelchair and recently was on a dock that broke and I went down in the lake. Luckily, it did not go over my head, but the entire electronics controller went underwater (along with the motors and batteries).

The chair is built very rugged and is great for outdoors but unfortunately they've gone out of business and no one makes one comparable. I'd like to keep this one running so when I got out of the water, we quickly disconnected power. When we got home, we took it apart and have been letting it dry out. That was roughly 3 weeks ago.

Here's a photo of the inside of the controller boards, is there something I can put on these that will help prevent rust/corrosion? I'm getting ready to put it together and hope that it works but would like to do everything I can to give it the best chance.

Thanks guys!

IMG_18481.jpg

Ouch!

glad YOU are okay...

while at work, a wiring welder would sometimes left outside during rains, some times all night (it had electronic boards)

I would spray rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) on the board and use air to blow it away till it was dry.  (while trying the welder somewhat still wet, it would running out all the wire) but it always started okay after dried.

rubbing alcohol has some kind of oil in it so maybe it helped the board, I don't know thou

anyway, that's what I did, don't know about your problem and I don't think I would try this, since it is dried now?

Ouch! again

Edited by Tinhorn

Hi Owen, Hope your ok! This board looks old school and the following procedure is one we use at work for equipment that sits outside. Use wd40 it displaces water and will leave an oil coating, helping prevent corrosion. The center object on the board looks like a solenoid of some sort, I would be suspicious and make extra sure it is dry inside. I would also unhook the motors and run them manually before letting it run through the circuit board, also run the chair without you in it in case the solenoid sticks. Good luck.

Thanks guys!

If I do try the WD-40, should I spray it directly onto the components? It seems like that might risk shorting things out.

By the way, I don't know if that's a solenoid, it doesn't look like the solenoids, I'm familiar with.

It does look to be sealed. Here's a closer photo, maybe you could tell me.

IMG_18771.jpg

It is a solenoid, probably used to turn the power on to the board. I see a lot of corrosion on the board and components. I would hose it down good and use a tooth brush and scrub the components, then re-spray and wipe components down with paper towel. Rubber components might not react well with the wd-40 so avoid those areas or cover with paper towels.

We have looked closer at the board and since we don't have a lot of knowledge about working on the boards, I'm thinking about seeing if I could hire someone who has those qualifications. Any idea how I can find a good qualified person in the Minneapolis area who would do this?

Here's a close-up photo of the worst looking part of the board. Interesting how the rust seems to be on every other screw, does that have to do with polarity? Also, if I use WD-40, don't I risk shorting something out?

Thanks

1.jpg