bulltalk.65

Went to the mountains

Was able to get up to the mountains a couple times over the last 8 weeks or so and hung some cams up.

Wife came along and helped, which was cool since she really doesnt like going.

I went this past weekend to hunt for opening weekend of bow season. 

So thankful to still be able to get up there and just sit in the solace of the wild.

Got to hear a mt. Lion screaming over and over and over, really made the heart pound and the neck hair stand up. Seemed every time I thought it was coming from one direction,  it would then seem behind me. My head felt like linda blair in the excorsist, on a swivel watching every direction...lol

Anyway, I sure am glad to be out and hiking and hunting around the woods even if its only a few yards at a time...

I did get some pics and vids so when I get on my pc, Ill post them in the pic forum. Most of my diy cams are down right now so I used a bunch of commercial units that I got cheap. They seem ok but could be a lot better..

Is anyone else bow hunting yet?

watch out about the Cougars,  be your luck that all you did to get all well  -  a lion will kill you anyway...

kidding (I hope)

our bow huntin' don't start to the middle of Sept here in Missouri but I will only use my cams tho and don't hunt anymore dang-it

4 hours ago, Tinhorn said:

watch out about the Cougars,  be your luck that all you did to get all well  -  a lion will kill you anyway...

kidding (I hope)

our bow huntin' don't start to the middle of Sept here in Missouri but I will only use my cams tho and don't hunt anymore dang-it

Hey Tin,

Oddly enough I think about that all the time and my wife hates me goin up there alone but I don't know any other way to hunt,  I always think that if that was to happen I don't think I'd be much of a fight anymore although I'd sure as hec give it the best I could...lol  Oh well, if it happens that way then I guess it would be better than layin in a hospitol bed doped up...

My last hunting partner was my dad and he passed in 2013 at 80 so we hadn't hunted together in many many years. I'm so use to hunting by myself and sleeping in my little 2 man tent and camping by myself I don't know if I could handle someone else in my camp....lol

The lions are getting thick out here, I have 3 different cats on 3 different cams in as many weeks all within about a 500 acre tract of national forest where I hunt.. last year I saw 7 just during the archery season, Walkin in to my stands in the dark in the mornings is a bit spooky knowing they are close by but so far so good...lol

This is the only state I know of that starts archery so early in august, some units in july... Its so miserable hot it makes for long sweaty days of just sittin because you cant take one step without alerting anything within a 1/4 mile. I'll post a few pics in the pic forum and you'll see just how bad the woods are here where I hunt, and they wonder why forest fires are so prevalent.

I lived in Oregon 4 or 5 years in 1970's or so an went up to the mountains by myself during weekends after work and slept in my 2 man tent and camping by myself too.  All my bow and even my guns were all stolen before I went Oregon and just went up to discovered whatever I found in the mountains, even panned some gold and never hunted.  I took a 357 pistol tho LOL

got this cat picure years ago and some think it was a 10 month old Mountain Lion here in Missouri.  After the picture, I went to put more cams out in the woods in 2AM at the cabin.  I told my wife if it would kill me, I would be famous because  it's been a hundred years since a lion killed somebody here in Missouri- - - she said get some other way famous...

the original pix don't show any spots, I tried focus too much and showed these spots, etc on this pix cause I couldin find the original

CatOrigFocusMagic.jpg

Edited by Tinhorn

He looks like a healthy size male.... definitely not a way we want to get famous...lol

Oregon has a good population of lions now too. Havent hunted oregon since the early 90's. Some good big country. 

Im headed back up this coming wednesday, had a pretty nice buck show up a few times at one of my spots so hope to be there waitin for him...😁

Great to see that you are out enthusiastically hunting, your making me keen lol. Even way over hear l know that your lions are breeding up. Now you said you saw 7 lions or you got 7 on your trail cams? Because I thought lions were very, very rarely seen?

7 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Great to see that you are out enthusiastically hunting, your making me keen lol. Even way over hear l know that your lions are breeding up. Now you said you saw 7 lions or you got 7 on your trail cams? Because I thought lions were very, very rarely seen?

Yep, saw them physically in daylight hours. They are getting to be very brazen and a lot of them in our area. Last year I got 2 on cam at night. Spoke to quite a few hunters during rifle season (october/november) and just about all of them had seen at least one.

Its actually a little worrying especially since I usually go in an hour before daylight but I just cant think to hard about it or I'd never make it to my stands... lol