bulltalk.65

What You See, is NOT always what you get!

I figured I'd just post this here as it is sort of an off cam subject but applies to hunting in general.

The other day I was going thru vids and pics from the last weekend of archery season (sept 7th and 8th) and it wasnt until my wife pointed something out to me that I had not even noticed or payed attention to.

Below you will see a screen shot of a video from a cam I always keep under the front of my truck in my camp. I do that just for sake of some idiot rolling in and thieving anything, that way I can at least get a plate number.

Anyway to make a long story short, look at the screen shot below and see if you notice what my wife noticed right off.  It took a vid of me as I was limpin my way back in to camp. 

This should bring up a good conversation and maybe some knowledge as to why and maybe a solution in someones ideas to fix it.

camp pic.jpg

25 minutes ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Well the only thing l see is your bright trousers.

BINGO....

Those are some high dollar camo pants with cargo pockets, a mossy oak breakup camo by Columbia.  That is like a walking flashlight in the darker woods or in a treestand. The backpack is a fieldline, it looks the same as the pants in IR video, just a big white bag hangin on my back along with my little thermo seat pad, like a big white flag flyin around behind me.

Deer see in a brighter color spectrum especially in low light, yellows, greens, blues and lighter grays..

This has to stand out to them especially in the evening hours or darkened woods etc...

Below is a pic of those same pants and backpack in regular daylight when I passed one of my trailcams the previous weekend...  

pants in day.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

UV Brighteners maybe.....There is a commercial wash out there made by Atsko I think that is supposed to kill that.....

Just now, Firemanjim said:

UV Brighteners maybe.....There is a commercial wash out there made by Atsko I think that is supposed to kill that.....

Yep, been using it for years. I think its made/mfg'ed by sno seal.  All my hunt clothes are washed at the same time after a clean rinse of the washer, then sealed in bags until I use them on the morning of each hunt day.  I probably spray my backpack at least 2 times a weekend at camp when up hunting.

When I get some time I'm going to grab every pair of camo pants, jackets and shirts I have and do an IR test with them in my backyard just to see how they look in a dawn/dusk situation. 

pretty crazy how bright they are in that vid..

Test 1

Whitewater Strategic Hunting Apparel - Realtree - washed/cleaned w/UV killer un bagged for test - Jacket price 159.00

Pants are camo pj bottoms.. lol

(happened to catch the lightning behind me)

whitewater.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

Test 2

Realtree Pro Series w/ Sherpa Fleece liner reversible, windproof, waterproof - Washed/cleaned w/UV Killer, unbagged for test -  Jacket Price 139.99

Will check my other pants and shirts tomorrow for more tests. Will post day pics of the jackets for comparison.

Realtree outdoors jacket.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

Just a note to consider.

The jacket I'm wearing in pic 1 in the first comment of this topic is a Camo netting bug jacket with hood, light weight no liner, basically a see thru with fake leaves attached along the arms and body - washed/clean w/UV killer - Pant and Jacket set price 26.99 (walmart)

10 hours ago, buckhuntertrailcam said:

Looks like the Walmart top is good, so what are the trousers like? 

The same as the bug jacket so I may end up wearing them over my pants.

Pretty crazy, would have never thought those clothes would look like that.. dont know for sure if it would have an effect on what the deer see but Im sure thinkin it more than likely does.