Emperor

Good morning all, whilst things are a bit slow on the forums l have a question about the performance of a PIR. Why do car headlights stop a PIR from detecting motion? I have a motion detector set up on my road to my ranch house. It is set at 90 degrees to the road - not pointing directly up or down the road. In the daylight it works perfectly, detecting virtually anything moving along the road, in the night a vehicle can pass in either direction (with headlights on) & it fails to detect the vehicle eventhough it is huge, hot and within 10 feet of the PIR. Would it help to put a wing out both sides of the PIR, which maybe stops the headlight interfering with the detection circuit?

Are you sure the camera is setup to take pictures at night? Depending on camera systems are set up to take pictures, days only, nights only, or day & night. Car lighting usually has no affect short term on the light sensor.

Headlights should have nothing to do with a PIR detecting or not detecting.  A PIR senses "Heat in Motion".....Not sure how a headlight could effect that.

7 hours ago, Firemanjim said:

Headlights should have nothing to do with a PIR detecting or not detecting.  A PIR senses "Heat in Motion".....Not sure how a headlight could effect that.

That is others thoughts as well, also what l thought. I have done further testing and it is definitely the headlights (at least a dozen different cars and trucks). It was suggested that the unit may be faulty, l am going to exchange it for another on my next trip to town. Thanks for your reply.