solar panel/ 12v regulator question

just made a diy solar setup for my 12v7a battery boxes for my commercial cams.  I used instructions on youtube by the handy hunter.   1.5w harbor freight solar panel to a diode to battery. fully charged brand new Battery to 12v1.5a regulator from there to cam.  Meter shows 12v to regulator, 10-11v coming out of regulator (with or without solar plugged in).....  spy point link micro app showed power @64%, cam would power on but not transmit. I disconnected solar and the regulator , ran cam wire to battery app showed 100% and sent pics like normal.  Moultrie cams with mv2 modems show 64-74%, one modem works one does not I'm assuming bc of low voltage (they worked fine at this spot with 12v battery box prior).  Any ideas why the regulator is cutting that much power? obviously its not enough power for my cams.  

Another question is do I need the regulator at all? When testing the solar panel in direct sun it outputs up to 24v to the battery depending on shade etc.  When I test power coming from battery with full solar, I still see output of 12v just like normal.  I thought that with both solar power in and power wire coming  off the battery on same post should show the 24v on the power wire coming off the battery?

including pics of the wiring diagram I used and the regulator used

IMG_0076.jpg

Wow, so many questions to ask. Usually when the camera has batteries in it, you plug external in it bypasses the camera batteries! What voltage doe the camera run?

I don't believe you need the regulator, I think the battery will keep the volts down,  the formula for amps is watts / volts which is barely 100 amps.  The regulator will steal some of that too...

my 2¢

It is a 12v camera,

Tinhorn, I think you are right. I tested the setup with solar panel hooked up in full sun.  It put out 21 volts. when I hooked it  to battery, the wire to the cam read 12v to 12.8 volts.  I did away with the regulator.  It tested again to day as outputting 10.5-11v.  These cams seem to be pretty sensitive to low voltage. we will see how it goes.

Below 11 volts is pretty close to dead for an SLA battery so that's probably why the cams aren't working. A few things to consider without the regulator and diode, if something happens to the battery either unplugged or it shorts out somehow you could be running the full solar panel voltage to the camera which will most likely fry it. Also without the diode if your panel doesn't have one built in when the sun goes down the panel could actually discharge the battery. You would probably be better off with a solar controller rather than the voltage regulator.

A 1.5w solar panel is not enough to keep the battery charged even if it gets full sunlight all day long.  I run 20w solar panels on all my Spartan cameras.  Are the Spypoints 6v or 12v units? You need a solar charge controller in line.  not the regulator.