trophytaker

Shooting sticks

I was looking at making some shooting sticks for the blind I just puchased.

I was going to make the tripod type out of bamboo and twine (like you see the safari guides using)

Any ideas would be appreciated though!

Pics would be even better!

Thanks!

I have seen the bipod and tripod type.

Either one would work for me!

find forked branch

check it with laser tape measure for proper length

cut branch off tree with trustee pocket knife

wa la

Do a search on youtube and there is a guy on there that does a lot of DIY hunting stuff. Very good videos and he has one for homemade shooting sticks. Many other good videos from him as well. Here is a link.

Make sure to watch his camo dipping video.

I made a great set of shooting sticks out of some replacement tent poles I found at Walmart several years ago. They break down in sections but are held together with shock cord. About $6, I think, very lightweight and will adjust from about 12 inches to almost 6 ft.

Another option I've seen that also works very well is to purchase an inexpensive squeegie window washer with the adjustable handle. They are pretty cheap. Also available at Walmart.

Aside from that, I've made a bunch out of wooden dowel rods that were just tied together with leather strapping. They fold up neatly and work very well.

Two years and look what the dog dragged in....ahoy Welby.....you're around here about as much as I am.... welcome back

hags

Two years and look what the dog dragged in....ahoy Welby.....you're around here about as much as I am.... welcome back

hags

It's great to be back. Hope I can make it a habit again. The last three years (and especially the last 6 months) have been very, very difficult.

I've used "old tent poles" also. They fold up nicely, lightweight, totally customizable for length. I used some leather shoe laces to tie two together.