Flyguy958

Anyone hack a P31?

31 posts in this topic

Hey, has anyone hacked a Sony P-31. Does it make a decent camera? Any advice?

Edited by Flyguy958

Makes a decent camera but the hack is verry difficult. Keep it for a decent camera and get a p32 or p41.

Not only a difficult hack, a pretty slow camera. I have a P31 I hacked using a Pix universal board with the Sony chip. With a 128 MB memory stick, it will not trigger when in single picture mode. I will if in double picture mode, or if I reduce to a 64 mb card. I agree with Encore, spend the extra $30 and get a P32.

Yep, my P31 is a 2-3 sec camera with a pix universal, but he is right about the memory stick. Anything larger than 64 Mb creates a lag at power-up with "memory stick access" displayed on the screen with this setup.

I bought 1 to use as a poacher cam, but the guy I bought it from never sent it.

I used the phone cable. Here's my mini instructions: Take all the screws out of the case, then separate the back a little. Once you get it separated, you'll need to take a small screwdriver and pop the connector below loose. The back will completely separate from the front when this connector is loose.

post-4-1110776665_thumb.jpg

Now, to get the inside separated from the front cover, you'll have to disconnect the shutter motor and flat ribbon cable below. The shutter (white connector) will just lift out with a little prying. (I left it disconnected with the shutter open for less sound when in operation.) For the flat cable, just take a small screwdriver, pry up the brown piece that holds it in place, and slide out. Once these are removed, you can gently pry the camera away from the front case.

post-4-1110776747_thumb.jpg

Now for connections, I just soldered the phone cable directly to the board. You'll have to remove the buttons, they clip on in two places, then remove the flat cable and you'll be able to solder to the connector that the flat cable slid into. Yellow is shutter, Green is refresh, and Red is power.

post-4-1110776794_thumb.jpg

The back side looks like this. I soldered the Black wire (common) to the common on the PC cable port. I ran the phone cable out through an access port (removed the cover and just left it off) on the bottom of the camera. Now, just plug the cable in.

Not sure what you're asking about dip switches. All they do is change timing, leds on/off, etc.

post-4-1110776954_thumb.jpg

Things to remember on Phone cable plugs and wire. All phone cables are not created equal. DO NOT use the fiber type, those will break really easy on you, get one with some wire inside. Phone plugs also have a normal plug end and a reverse wiring plug end so keep that in mind.

Thanks Redleg great post, thanks for sharing. I do agree with Coondog, it does not look too hard. I guess I'll take the plunge and try. I let ya'll know how bad I screw up. :o