Reply to this topicStart new topic
> homemade deer feeder, homemade deer feeder plans & photo
bowhunt1
post Jan 23 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 145

I made a couple of gravity feeders last year out of 55-gallon drums. To make the feeder I have you need to get a 55-gallon drum with the lever lock lids, easy on and off and waterproof. At the very bottom on each side cut a hole about 5 in wide and 3in high.
Make an upside down "V" using plywood. This "V" needs to be about 16 or 18in tall. Place the "V" in the bottom where it will force the feed to the holes. Sit the feeder on bricks or 2x4s. This works great and the good thing about using 55 gal drums, you donít have to go back every week to fill it up. Fill up the barrels and stay away for a while. Try it you'll like it.

A real simple homemade game feeder to make is to buy a Rubbermaid trashcan 33 gallons. Cut 3-4 holes in the sides where they meet the bottom of the container. Make the holes about 2-3 inches tall by 4-5 inches long pour in 200 lbs. corn and gravity and the deer and animals will do the rest. Make sure you secure the top with bunjie cords. Itís very easy to make and feeds a good while depending on how many deer you have.
P.S. I camoed mine but you donít have to.
[URL=http://residents.bowhunting.net/bowhunt1/feeder6.jpg

This post has been edited by bowhunt1: Jan 29 2004, 06:14 AM

IPB

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Jaggermax
post Jan 24 2004, 01:17 AM
Post #2

Elite Member

Member No.: 10

Great Ideas. You cant beat a cheap plastic feeder made from a garbage can. Cheap, and if it get stolen, no big deal. I have a real old trick which most of you probably use. I like to take the 5 gallon paint buckets, then drill a 1 3/4" hole in the center bottom of it. I then take a 1" wooden rod, 2' long and drive a nail through it 1" from one end so that 1" of the nail is sticking out each side of the dowel. Then insert the dowel through the hole from the inside of the paint can so the nail holds the dowel on the inside of the bucket. The nail allows the dowel to swing back and forth. When filled with corn, the corn will not come out of the bottom unless the dowel is moved slightly. Each hit of the dowel will drop about 1/4 cup of corn. I have sat at a feeder before and watch deer constantly hit the dowel to release the corn. Turkeys learn pretty quick as well.

NWHUNTER
post Jan 24 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #3

Blacktail Hunter

Member No.: 222

Both are great ideas. Makes me wonder how they sell those electronic feeders.

Jaggermax, I assume you are saying you then need to secure the paint can to the bottom of a trash can? If so, what do you feel is the best way to do this?

knobby
post Jan 24 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 279

NW I think jagger's bucket/dowel feeder would be hung in the air...no trash can involved. Hang it in the air with the dowel sticking down out of the bottom and animals can then bump the dowel like a lever to release some feed.

a similar type of feeder can be made by taking a 5 gallon bucket(or other containter) and cutting some narrow slots right above the bottom. If you cut a couple slots about 1/2" wide and 4 or 6 inches long parallel with the bottom you can fill it with corn and the corn will not come out....but deer can lick the slot and get some corn. A bucket could be hung in a tree...a barrel could simply be raise up on blocks or sumthing.

The problem with these type of homemade feeders is that the animals can simply sit there and eat til all the feed is gone. And I'm not talking just about deer. Birds, squirrels and chipmunks can pack away ALOT of corn...and turkeys...well they can wipe out this type of feeder in very short order. It is not that uncommon for me to have large flocks of turkeys pass my deerstand in the fall...I'm talkin 75-100 birds. I don't know how many turkeys you have where you're at....but if a flock of 75 turkeys finds a barrel full of corn with a whole in it....your feeder is bad trouble lol....they will empty it

in the backyard where its very easy to get to and refill that may not be a problem if you're willing to spend the money. I buy 500lbs of corn at a time and it runs me around $30. Rationing that 500lbs out using a timed feeder....it lasts about 5 weeks or so. If I just dumped the 500lbs out on the ground it would probably be gone in one week lol. (and this is just one location) I like feeding the critters but I aint gunna spend several hundred bucks a month to do it. Then I'd have no money for cam building :-P

IPB
Attitudes are contagious...is yours worth catching?

I am NOT a HillBilly......I am a Appalachian American

~knobby

MCinIL
post Jan 24 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Elite Member

Group: Elite Member
Member No.: 7

Really good ideas guys. I guess now all I need is some time to make one, or two. Thanks for the ideas. MC. cheers.gif

IPB
Live to Hunt

MrRee
post Jan 24 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #6

Elite Member

Member No.: 12

I have used Jaggers bucket & dowel type of feeder befor. They do a great job and are so easy to make. That's the kind I make when I want a feeder.

IPB

You can't fix stupid, only vote them out.

Jaggermax
post Jan 24 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Elite Member

Yea, as knobby mentioned, once the animals are trained to learn how to get the feed out, it dont take long for a 5 gallon bucket to get emptied. It neat watching the usage over a period of time. The first time you put it out it will last probably 2-3 weeks. Then, you will notice you will start having to fill it more and more ofter as they learn how it works. I usually mount mine hangin on a large limb so the end of the dowel is about 3 feet off the ground. That way, turkeys will not be able to hit it. Hmmmm, I am curious now if Turkeys can indeed learn to activate it, even though it is out of reach. May have to put a video cam over one.

knobby
post Jan 25 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 279

hahaha there ya go jagger.... get em on film...that would make a funny film a bunch of turkeys jumping and fighting for the lever like NBA players for a rebound

I have never tried the dowel type of feeder....but sumthin tells me that it wouldn't take long for turkeys to figure it out. I dunno how tall the average turkey is but it's gotta be atleast 2 feet wouldn't you say? I'm sure a 12" jump is no problem for them. Although depending on how much corn came out they may find it not worth the effort.

I've been in a stand near a timed feeder before when the feeder went off just after daylight. I sat there and watched a mixture of about 15 blue jays, 4 grey squirrels, lord knows how many chipmunks, and a few other misc small birds. They had almost every last kernel of corn gone within 2 hours. The turkeys, deer and bears got none of it lol.

I don't know how much corn that feeder was putting out...however much the average On-Time broadcast feeder throws. But that just goes to show you that just because lots of corn is being taken from your feeder, that doesn't mean your target animals are getting it lol. There were 9 different bears visiting that spot and they were probly getting rather pissed they were only getting leftovers haha.

IPB
Attitudes are contagious...is yours worth catching?

I am NOT a HillBilly......I am a Appalachian American

~knobby

bowhunt1
post Jan 25 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 145

here is a photo
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

IPB

campkopasquat
post Feb 5 2004, 08:05 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 274

Jaggermax,

I've got to try your 5 gal pail idea. Looks perfect for some licks I'm going to make. I was going to mix some mineral lick with corn and sunflower and just pile it on the ground, but I like your idea.

The problem I always had with those 5 gal pails was the lids. But I have a solution. I found these a couple years ago and use them for my camp in Maine. They are called Gamma Seal Lids. Not sure if it's the same company that mine are but here is a link.

http://www.healthyharvest.com/product_info...products_id=731

You might be able to find them cheaper. You put them on like a regular lid, smack it down with a rubber mallet, but the actual lid screws in place. Has rubber gasket to keep inside dry as well.

This post has been edited by campkopasquat: Feb 5 2004, 08:11 AM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

IPB
"When life looks like Easy Street, there is danger at your door....."

Jaggermax
post Feb 5 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #11

Elite Member

Good point camp. I found with my dowel feeders, you have to keep the corn dry. If any water gets into the corn, it will not come out when the stick is moved. The corn just becomes lumped together. I like those lids you found. Will have to try one. Also, I am putting together some drawings showing how to make the dowel type feeder and will place it on my website.

campkopasquat
post Feb 5 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Jaggermax,

I think you'll really like them. I bought a bunch when I got mine to save on shipping. I'd be willing to bet you that you'll like them. If you can do it, buy one for each feeder so you save on shipping.

Think I also might use a 3" bolt with a couple nuts and washers to center it instead of the nail though the dowl. Afraid I might split the darn thing.

Camp

This post has been edited by campkopasquat: Feb 5 2004, 02:51 PM

IPB

campkopasquat
post Feb 22 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Well, I made 3 of the Jaggermax deer feeders over the weekend. I also took some photos. Maybe I'll put together a document with a parts list and directions and forward them to Jaggermax. He seems a bit busy.
Camp

This post has been edited by campkopasquat: Feb 24 2004, 05:13 AM

IPB

campkopasquat
post Feb 24 2004, 05:10 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Here is one attached to a tree and filled with a mix of corn, sunflower seed and Imperial mineral sup.

This post has been edited by campkopasquat: Feb 24 2004, 05:14 AM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

IPB

Jaggermax
post Feb 24 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #15

Elite Member

Yep, thats the feeder. Looks just like mine. Only thing different is that I hang mine from a limb at about 3' so the squirells and other unwanted critters dont get to much of the loot. Got your email on the PDF. Send it on over to me and I will post it on a new page I am creating on my website for plans and "how tos" on stuff like this. Should be a good page. Hard part will be coming up with stuff to fill it up.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 03:20 AM