-BG2 DETECTION RANGE- SOLVED

We have found what's causing the detection range problem on the BG2s.

To make a really long story short, it's a component on the BG2 that's out of spec., but took forever to find.

If you want to read the long story follow along in the midle section of this post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the world of capacitors there are chip capacitors that stay within 10% of their stated value...these caps. are more precise or closer to the value intended. There are also chip caps. that can vary in precision as much as -20% and up to +80% of their stated value.

This less precise chip capacitor is what's screwing up the BG2s range, to a varying degree.

We submitted a BOM (bill of material) list to the assembly house for the BG2. They responded with pricing and availability of components. Some requested components were up to 12 weeks out of stock. No big deal because almost all the parts on the BG2 are basic everyday caps. and resistors, so when chip capacitors 1 and 2, which are 1uF, were out of stock, the assembly house said they could easily find us a replacement 1uF chip capacitor....which they did, but they did not stay within the tolerances of the original specified cap. that was listed.

The original chip caps. part number specified it to be + or - 10% which would range from .90uF to 1.1uF, 10% tolerance either way....this was fine and these BG2s are the ones that work as designed.....even better then the BG1s.

The replacement caps. that didn't hold the 10% tolerance could range from .80uF all the way up to 1.8uF.....this is were the problem is...the 2 caps. need to be right at or real close to 1uF.

At 1.2 or 1.3uF we're still seeing good results for the range of the BG2, these are probably the guys who are getting the 40 to 60 feet. There's probably a fair amount of the BG2s with 1.2 to 1.3uF caps. for these two caps. It's impossible to tell unless you remove the caps. from the circuit and test them on a very precise meter. Chances are that if your seeing 40 to 60 feet, your caps. are at or around 1.2 to 1.3uF.

At 1.5uF we're seeing fair to poor results for the range of the BG2, these are probably the guys who are maybe getting 30 feet max.

At 1.8uF we're seeing the very poor results for the range of the BG2, these are the guys screaming that they can only get 10 or 12 feet.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, what to do.....I collected every single BG2 I had here and took them over to the assembly house. They ordered replacement chip capacitors within the 10% tolerance and they have replaced the caps. on these boards I took over. They also have another batch of BG2s ready to go and they've replaced the caps. on these as well. The new batch of BG2s is being delivered to Brian today and he will program them and send them back to me. So all the BG2s that I have will be fixed and programmed....ready to ship......

We tested a bunch of these reworked BG2 last weekend at the hags house get together. All the reworked boards had very good range. We had a couple jigs setup with the Lodiff fresnel lens and up here in Wisconsin we had range of 31 to 33 yards at max. sensitivity. I know we have found the issue of the low detection range on some of the BG2s....

I will gladly swap BG2s with anyone who feels their detection range is not acceptible. By the time your BG2 gets here, I'll have the box of BG2s back from Brian and your replacement BG2 will be in the mail the next day. I hope to have your replacement board back in your hand in one week or less.

As the BG2s come back to me, I'll collect them and periodically send them over to have their caps. swapped out and fix these returned boards. I may have to have a number of boards reporgrammed due to the fact it's not up to me if and when boards will be returned, but with the stock I now have it shouldn't be a big issue. The swapping with a member should take a week at most to get your new, or reworked, BG2s back in your hands.

The boards that are seeing fairly good range, the ones with the chip caps. at 1.2 or 1.3uF probably won't notice a great increase in range and probably could swap their boards or not swap them and be fine. The guys with below average range, or the guys who want to try the wide angle lens should swap their boards and test with the reworked BG2s.

The long and the short.... this all stinks.....all I can say is I'm sorry....it's truly human error. I will stand behind the boards and get them fixed. I will pay the postage it costs for the members to return the boards to me. I will refund anyones money who doesn't want to deal with this issue. I guess all I'm saying is I'll make it right, the only thing I can't do is probably make it happen fast enough for some.....

hags

EDIT: Before anyone asks....no I won't send the caps. or stand behind any board that the caps. have been messed with. This rework needs to be done at the assembly house. They have the proper equipment to do this work. These caps. are way to small and the solder pads are even smaller.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for the Info..

Now the first question of many :)

I ordered a board last friday... WIll it have the correct cap ?

Thx

If you want to swap boards please do the following:

1.) Make sure the board is wrapped up and protected from possible shipping damage.

2.) Please mark on the board wrapping or package what program is on the BG2.

3.) Please include the return address you would like the replacement board or boards sent to.

You can send your board to my address listed in my signature below.

Like I said, I should have programmed BG2s here about the time anyones BG2 will get here, so I'll ship repalcement BG2s as fast as they arrive.

Your board from last Friday is good to go gtk.

All the guys who had the BG2s with the bug P41 program have boards with new caps. on them. Those guys don't need to resend their boards in....

hags

Is there a way to tell just by looking at the board? Maybe with a magnifine glass. The reason I ask is I have several boards that I have not soldered together yet, just here on standby until I get other parts together. :huh:

No. It is a matter of tolerance and the chip capacitors to not have this on them. Using a very precise meter with the caps off the board is the only way from what he said.

I'm going to guess that I need to replace mine, it was in the first batch ordered. I've noticed that I'm only getting like 20-25 feet but I just figured that was because it was like 93 degrees when I was testing.

Like HH said.....there is no outward sign to tell the caps. are out of spec.

The ones in spec. and out of spec. look identical. If your getting unacceptible range, send them in and I'll get you some reworked ones to try.

hags

Hags & brian, thank you guys for working on this so diligantly, I knew you would get to the bottom of it. I've got a few boards I'll be sending you. I ordered 5 from the first batch. I'm working major hours right now & don't have time to build cams, so get these other guys taken care of first.

I've got several guys that have been waiting for this answer to build their cams, I'm gonna give them the thumbs up now. Really, I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this for us.

Scruff, You didn't order one. Why no you are not good to go? Order now. :D

Thanks for everyone's patience. We really appreciate it.

I checked the next batch that Hags sent me for programming and they would detect me in my yard at 25+ yards in 103 degree temps. This should really help you guys out that want long range for sure.

Edited by Brian

Scruff, You didn't order one. Why no you are not good to go? Order now. :D

Thanks for everyone's patience. We really appreciate it.

I checked the next batch that Hags sent me for programming and they would detect me in my yard at 25+ yards in 103 degree temps. This should really help you guys out that want long range for sure.

Sounds good to me. I'll have mine setup looking down a trail that I'm going to try hunting this year and I'll need some pretty good range.

I will try and get mine in the mail today. Thanks for standing behind your product.

Thanky you guys that make this hobby possible.

Dan / Brian,

My 5 boards for here in Canada were held up because of the P41 bug,

I have them now, but it was a split order, some P41, and some P32.

So my P41's are OK, but my 32's will have the old cap ?

gyp

Nope...all 5 of yours are good to go gypsy...Everything I had was fixed.

hags