First Jazz Video Ir Build, Works Great

Ok, Dave and myself have been playing around with the cool little Jazz DV150. I like the camera so much, I could not wait to post some video of it. but since we cant post video, all i could do is post some screen captures of the video. Trust me, the screen captures do not do this camera justice. The camera only has a VGA qualtiy sensor, but thats ideal for video. This camera was designed for good qualtiy video, not pictures, even though it does have a picture mode. The camera records in full vga mpeg4 at 30 fps. But out of the box, even though the sensor picks up well in low light, it was not good enough for nighttime video. That is until Treetop figured out a great, simple way to do an IR hack on it. I gotta tell you , Dave is the man when it comes to IR. The mod he figured out is so simple and works GREAT!! Now, it picks up extremely well at night with his mod. Hard to believe it it only a CMOS sensor. I will let Dave share the IR mod later once we get the sucker field tested and get a better idea on how well it works. But for now, it seems to be a winner. We just started playing around with the camera and its capabilities, but I did get an IR system built up this weekend and plan on getting it out next week for some initial testing. It aint pretty, but it will do for now. Also, we got a few idea on how to switch from color recording in the day and IR at night. I plan on giving it a try soon, but I think it will work. I managed to stuff it all inside a 1060 case, it was tight, but it worked. The C batteries are was cause most of the problems. The C batteries power everything but the Jazz, it runs on it's own 2 AA batteries which last for about 2 hours of recording time.

The system runs on a Bigfoot board with a custom IR array I built up. I started out with 32 940 nm leds, but I could only get about 15 feet (but it was totally invisible). Dave showed me some video clips he did with a 40 led 870 nm array and it was amazing. So I built up a 28 Led array using some old 870 nm generic leds and it worked better, but still not as good as what Dave had gotten with the larger array. My video is a bit more grainy that the test video Dave did, but I think I just need a few more IR leds. I think a 40 LED array would be fine. In the video capture picture below, the two trees are 40 feet out and this is with the small 28 led array. I took a screen capture from the test video Dave sent me and its at the bottom. BIG difference!

Cost of the system as shown, $70 for camera, $42 for bigfoot, $15 for array, $15 for case, and $2 for battery holder. So this IR video system can be built for well under $150! Remember, YOU HEARD IT FIRST HERE!!! On HAGS HOUSE!! :coolsmiley::coolsmiley:

post-10-1194236811_thumb.jpg

post-10-1194236820_thumb.jpg

post-10-1194237108_thumb.jpg

post-10-1194237115_thumb.jpg

post-10-1194237715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaggermax

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well....there goes my next months paycheck... Got to try one now too ya know. Great work...again!

Hey...nevermind...I tried too...can not post it either.

Edited by 212

Guest explore00

Thats wild man I want to try this thing out will you be posting the hack for the camera? I have to stop looking at these things :o

Nice work guys! I can't wait to see how to hack this one so I get one out in the field. Thanks!

Yep Chris, the video clip Treetop sent was pretty incredible. I bet he was reaching out there 80 feet with the IR array, maybe more. And the video was not grainy at all. Nice and clean. From my personnel opinion, I believe the video quality is better than the Neuros Recorder. The two Neuros's I played around with, the video was good, but in low light, the video seemed to be grainy. I really need to do a comparison between the two. Plus it has an LCD screen. But I need to see what type of temperature that LCD can handle. May have to put one in the freezer.

The wiring hack is pretty simple. There is actually a keypad daughter board located in the camera that you can disconnect and remove. This gives you good access to the pads on the connector under the keypad board to solder into. All you do is solder wires to 4 pins on the connector. Its surface mount gullwing, so its not hard to solder to. Plus, there is a lot of room to run the connector wires inside the case. The IR mod is even easier but i'll let Dave explain that since he may have other tricks up his sleeve that he wants to try first. It crazy what Dave can figure out when it comes to the IR mod. And this IR mod will be the most simple IR mod ever! Even my 7 year old son can do it :)

Thats Sweet

I will have to try one or two LOL

Thanks to all you guys hard work of trial and error to make us (I) technically challenged people the chance to make these kind of toys :D

Hags House ROCKS

BadgerBuckHunter,

what's a Checker Auto? not familiar with that and probably not found in Missouri. Did a quick google search but only seen AutoParts, or is that it. Is there a link? Thanx

Jagg's about got me conviced to get one of these, I bet it'll be a "Drop-In" in the CVS camcorder unit

thanx for the research

Tin

B and H photo still has them for $69. I will have the wiring hack soon. Trying to get the kinks worked out with the new bigfoot code to run it first.

Tinhorn,

It is a auto parts store. Click on it in google and use 53704 as a zip, then find the ads on the left side and turn to pg2 and it will be in the upper right corner. You are alowed 2 per household. You maybe able to order them online. They are $99.00 and have a $50.00 rebait. I bought one tonight, now I cant go to bed.

Yep I may have gotten the ir hack down Clay did the tough part I just have fun with the IR mods It may be a very easy mod but it still needs more testing to be sure there will be no whiteout I think Also we need to check and see if we can get the suppl. y of replacement lens I still would hope you guys hold off as I wouldnt want to mislead you and say its a sure thing I. am still out on my hunt be back later this weenice looking build Clay I that a 6 volt array you are running ?

Nice bucks Dave! you gotta post the pics here.

Yea guys, dont go out and start buying them just yet, we just now started playing around with them. Still a LOT of testing that needs to be done. I would hate for you guys to go buy some then we find an "oh crap" issue later. I got two built now and will be putting them out in the woods this weekend.

Dave, I did some testing on the whiteout, the camera will adjust to eliminate any whiteout. I can point the camera directly towards the sun, and it will automatically compensate and darken the video to eliminate the whiteout. Its only washed out for about the first 2 seconds, then the camera adjusts. Pretty cool.

Here is my latest build. I built this for a buddy at work who wanted a totally invisible system, no light emission at all. I used 80 940 IR leds for the array and am driving it directly with the 6 volt battery pack. I used 4 leds per leg (20 legs total) with no limiting resistor. The internal battery resistance limits the array right at the current I need. At full battery power, each leg pulls 40 ma It pulls 800 ma total and has a range of about 25 -30 feet. Works pretty good, but still not like the picture I showed above that dave had with his array. But one thing for sure, you cant tell when its recording you. I decided to mount the array on the outside to give more room inside the case and to elminate the heat from the array from causing false triggers. The C batteries are almost to big for the case, they just bump the back of the bigfoot board, so I put some foam over the board to better protect it. post-10-1194407756_thumb.jpgpost-10-1194407769_thumb.jpg

Gary's lens mount might give you the extra room there Jag, you use shorter stand-offs with it.