ive been looking over a bunch of PDF's of the S40 hacks. seems they dont explain much but the pictures realy help. what i was wondering if you do a USB hack does that eliminate the need to run the wire out of the cam to a separate connector. or can you plug into the usb port and run that to the controll board. also do i have to run wire up to the SA connector from the usb block as well

you will use 2 wires from the SA and one wire from the USB. The wire to the USB is going to be your ground/common wire. It is on the inside of the camera as well as the 2 for the SA. You just solder a wire to the ground/common connection of the USB fitting. I dont know of any hack that is just a plug in, into the USB port. These 3 wires then exit the camera and go to your board.

Edited by gunrunr298

Totally different deal than I thought.......post removed to not further confuse matters.

Edited by befus

ive been looking over a bunch of PDF's of the S40 hacks. seems they dont explain much but the pictures realy help. what i was wondering if you do a USB hack does that eliminate the need to run the wire out of the cam to a separate connector. or can you plug into the usb port and run that to the controll board. also do i have to run wire up to the SA connector from the usb block as well

If you hack the USB connector http://www.depreyswildlife.com/Mods/Sony%20S40/s40usbmod.pdf you can then use it as your connector and don't have to run a seperate connector out of the camera. You will no longer be able to use the USB port to connect to the computer but if you have a card reader this is not an issue. You still have to hack the SA and run the wires from the SA to the USB inside the camera.

Hope that helps

thanks for the replies i was hoping you did not have to do the hack at the SA connnector but still looks like a good way to connect a camera to the sensor board!

You also have to remember you will have a USB cord coming out of the side of the camera, so the only way to have enough room is to have your case mounted horizontally.