I've become aware of freestanding slave units that are relatively cheap (<$20) and available from BHPhoto. Has anyone used these to augment their critter cam's flash? Does anyone have any recommendations or usage tips? Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I took a look at those units and I am quite curious looks like they are triggered by a photo-transistor, pretty cheap to. I may buy one to try myself. I know some cameras flash twice and a slave has to ignore the first flash this maybe a problem with these. I am sure someone knows.

Here is a link

Edited by mheimburg1

For the price its worth a try. I notice a lot of mention of using it for fill and highlighting, so I don't think it will be overly bright or wash out the animals.

I dont know what the difference in the two are, but it states this one is brighter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4389...#specifications

I just read up on them a little and they wont work since it wont ignore the preflash.

Maybe this one will work though....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6623...e.html#features

Edited by bowgod02

Seems like I have read something on here about this or a similar product. The focus revolved around what kind of battery life you would get out of just 2 AA's and what the flash range would be. Can't remember if anyone did any testing to answer these questions.

I'm testing one out now as white flash and will have another done with IR in a few days. So we'll see how it does. So far so good with it.

Keep us posted look like there are alot of people waiting for slavemasters, wondering if you were taking flash apart to mount photo sensor in front of flash?

I extended the flash sensor to get it close to the flash and added wires for external batteries as well. This one is going into a P52 build to test out.

post-4111-1263327128_thumb.jpg

Now that can power off of a bigfoot board, and should be good for an a503 build, correct? I am hoping you are doing another a503 IR with this build so I can see if it is better or as good as a slavemaster and 2800 for flash, it sure would be cheaper.

You probably have seen this but here is a link to using unexposed slide film for IR lens, I was wondering if it is good for game cam or just for triggering flashes.

Link

Thanks a ton for your input, sure helps.

I had purchased a product simialar to these a while back, The extended flash was just adeqaute no range like the Vivitars have, the flash recycle time was slow! The battery life wasn't good because the flash ran on only 2AA's and was always on, The flash I used was suited to handle the pre-flash of a digital camera,

Abreviated version it worked but not very good, I'd pass on these if the chance came again

Now that can power off of a bigfoot board, and should be good for an a503 build, correct? I am hoping you are doing another a503 IR with this build so I can see if it is better or as good as a slavemaster and 2800 for flash, it sure would be cheaper.

You probably have seen this but here is a link to using unexposed slide film for IR lens, I was wondering if it is good for game cam or just for triggering flashes.

Link

Thanks a ton for your input, sure helps.

As for a 503 IR, I might stick with a viv 2800 or 2000. They will put out alot more light than this little flash will and the 503 needs more light. But it may work fine up close on scrapes and such. I'll be doing more of the 503's but it may be a little while till I break another open. I have a p41 and a p32 to finish up yet... But soon.

I had purchased a product simialar to these a while back, The extended flash was just adeqaute no range like the Vivitars have, the flash recycle time was slow! The battery life wasn't good because the flash ran on only 2AA's and was always on, The flash I used was suited to handle the pre-flash of a digital camera,

Abreviated version it worked but not very good, I'd pass on these if the chance came again

I just tested out the recover time on this flash and from flash till you can flash again is about 3 seconds. Bigfoot will control the on/off of the flash so it won't be on all the time. Plus external C's should last quit a bit. Just seeing what it will do.... if it don't work well, I can always remove and throw in a vivitar 2000 or 2800. Not like I don't have a draw full of them here. Just trying new things....

Great input bowgod02, just buying cameras now I have two s40 and a s600 just wondered how there flash range is, also if you got a chance to see the link I had posted.

Thanks Again

I did look at the link above and I wish I had some old film here to try it out. Maybe a cheap alternative instead of the 1" IR circles for the flash.

The S40 and S600 have great flashes on them. You shouold be happy with thier performance.