? About Increasing Flash Distance

boredom turns to creativity. if i were to use 2 3700 flashes together, would i greatly increase the distance of the flash or am i simply limited by how far the light will travel? in other words, will the flash go the same distance but just be brighter or will it actually increase the distance that is visible? reason i ask is i have thought about taking a high megapixel camera, mod it for IR, and set it up over my field. the higher MP would allow better zoom in on the pictures. i could do time lapse but i would rather not have to sift through countless pictures with nothing, so i would prefer motion activated. the other issue would be sensing motion at a long distance (50-100 yards). is this even feasible? if i were to do time lapse, i had though about mounting several cameras at an angles and having them fire at the same time in order to take panoramic pictures. the whole thing started by me thinking of a way to take pictures of our big food plot which is 1100 yards long and 100-125 yards wide. just trying to think of better ways to get better pictures. last year i had several cameras set up on the edge of the field. i could see the deer in the far background but even adjusting the lighting on the pictures i couldn't see a lot of detail. some of the deer were big bucks but couldn't tell much more than that.

Edited by n10sivern

The flash distance with 2 3700s would not increase much (some maybe 10 to 15 feet). The issue would be how the light spreads out at a certain distance. Assuming that both had exactly the same spreading out effect, it would be brighter out towards the limits which would allow camera to see slightly better.

If you took one 3700 flash and used a fresnel lens to focus the light (just like the flash extenders), it possible that you could get a beam of light to reach out another 10 to 20 yards and still only need a single flash. There are a lot of fresnel lens on ebay that are pretty small that could be used and then it would be how far from the fresnel lens to put the flash to get the desired spreading of light. It might take a while adjusting the flash to get the distance right. If you were to put a light at the focal point of the lens in theory it would work like a laser and be a concentrated beam like a laser. So you would need to put the flash somewhere between the focal point of the lens and the lens until the desired spreading of light was obtained. The maximum distance would be where all the light would fall in the same field of view as the camera.

Here are a couple of lens that might be able to be used for this if you wanted to try this: (just cut the lens down if it is too big)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-Credit-Card-...=item45fec7133a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRESNEL-LENS-DIY-T...=item35b08f81b8

Other option is that you might have a remote slave flash that is setup to fire on a single flash at a distance to increase the range.

Other option is that you might have a remote slave flash that is setup to fire on a single flash at a distance to increase the range.

That would be my suggestion. Just make a remote slave that works with a single flash. It would fire when the slave flash in the build fires. You could experiment with it to see just how far away you could put the remote slave to gain extra distance without having a dark area in the middle of the pics. During the testing phase for the Slave Controller I was getting about 40-45 feet or more just using a handheld camera to trigger the remote slave.