looking to get a crossbow, and looking for any suggestions for a decent one at a decent price, 3-400 I guess. Since its my first real crossbow It has to be decent..

Thanks for the suggestions.

I picked up a Wicked Ridge warrior last year...it's a lower end made by TenPoint. I looked at a lot of bows but took into consideration that women would be using it and so went with a lower poundage for easier cocking...Got a good deal on the package and like it a lot...deadly accurate and consistant out to 45yds don't bother shooting past that(I wouldn't recommend it for any bow/crossbow as wind and to many things to happen in flight)...I have shot Excaliber and TenPoint xbows and this one though heavier and a little louder is plenty good enough to hunt with at a decent price. The other I was going to get was by Carbon Express X-force...but a lot of good shooting bows are out there depends on what you're willing to spend for the whole package- Those I already mentioned, along with 6-point, Barnett, Parker off the top of my head and theres a couple more(???)- they all have a wide range of models and shoot very well. *get a crosshair scope(no red dot - I hated it and not as durable), carbon bolts(shoot lots flatter, cost more), get dampeners(for limbs) and monkey tails(for string), also string wax and rail lube(need to lube every couple shots or prerformance goes way downhill). Most of this will come in a kit but not near enough if you shoot like I like to :D

Don't waste you're time on a china/taiwan bow...stick to the good/popular name brands and don't get the lowest in the lineup -unless its the Warrior! Avoid the Jackyl(though its tempting at the price I heard bad things and saw lots for sale after 1 yr of use-there's a reason for that)

Horton is another good one.

Edited by wolvenkinde

Most of my family were shooting Hortons. I bought an Excalibur about 6 years ago. Now almost all my family shoot Excalibur's . I have been finding them on Craig's list. The last one was a 200 lb Exocet for $200.00 came with a cocking string and the varizone scope . Excalibur has a life time warranty and is an awesome bow. Now is the time to buy them if they are for sale on craig's list. I buy most of the things I need from Bow Hunters Supper Store. If you buy it from their Ebay store the freight is cheaper if you only look to buy 1 or 2 Items. Their freight through the warehouse still is not bad customer service is very good. I buy my arrows from them and fletch them my self.

Check out Excaliburs forum and web site lots of great people there. Yes stay away from the red dot scopes.

Those excaliburs are great xbows - if only I could have afforded one...if you can get one in good shape, that shoots 300fps, and for under $400 jump on it.

If any of you make the Sportsmans Show here in Erie this weekend my buddy (Dave's Archery) is having a show special on crossbows. He has Bowtech, Horton, Excalibur, Ten Point, Wicked Ridge all as packages (scope, arrows, etc.). Printed up his flyer for him yesterday but can't remember all the prices or brands, just do know the package prices were VERY good. Can find them out if you want (message me if you do as this is the first time I've been on this forum). His special runs from 3/2 thru 3/17 (? don't think it was the 27th).

Forgot to include Parker.

Edited by IroquoisArcher

• 2 weeks later...

Wicked Ridge, Horton, and Barnett all make good crossbows. Make sure to get a compound and not a recurve. Stay away from the cheapo's...

Wicked Ridge, Horton, and Barnett all make good crossbows. Make sure to get a compound and not a recurve. Stay away from the cheapo's...

Why not a recurve? May dad has an Excalibur in the recurve and it shoots great and has lasted a long time. Just wondering why you'd suggest that?

The only thing I know thats better with the compound is that it is a little faster for the same poundage and a little easier to cock -but in My experience you'll still want at least a rope cocking device(they make a big difference in ease and consistant shot placement). The good recurves are supposed to be more consistantly accurate and I do think my buddy's Excaliber recurve IS more accurate than my Wicked Ridge.

• 4 months later...

After havin a nice talk with Diesel I ended up buying a Excalibur Exocet 200, it's a tack driver. I just picked up a Excalibur Vortex also, here we go!