How Many Are Using Crossbows?

From the harvesting pictures and stories on here I noticed some are using crossbows. I was wondering how many are using them? And what kind of maintenance is needed with them and how often. And what kind of flight path you are getting with them from how heavy of an arrow.

Edited by speed2spare

I switched to one this year, shooting a Excalibur Exocet 200 lb. Other than a little string wax once in a while, no maintenance. Maybe a small shot of wd40 in the trigger once or twice a year.

Shooting 20" 400gr total wt LaserII bolt's around 315 fps, have the varizone scope so it's adjustable for speed with range marks out to 50 yds. It's scary how accurate it shoots.

Hags member Diesel is the Excal guy on the forum, he helped me out a lot getting into crossbows.

Excal all the way Keep it simple stupid ( KISS ) Great bows, My family was shooting Horton's till they saw what my Excalibur would do not they all shoot Excalibur's. Don't leave your bow strung in a hot car. Remove the shock pads and string at the end of season, Be sure and have a Excalibur scope (they work great ) Everything but the string is under warranty for life. Awesome customer service and support. I have 2 Excalibur bows one for each of my children I will never have to buy another bow again. The limbs they make today will work on the bow they made back in 1983. The limbs they put on a 150# bow are the same limb on the 225# bow. No wheels so it the string serving breaks put a new string on and go hunting. Min arrow weight 350 gr.

I just got a Exclaibur Exomax used last weekend. I only shot it a few times to check it out. I will order new arrows and field points before I shoot it again.

It is a 2011 model and is in like new condition. I do like the Vari-Zone scope that came on it. I'll be using Parker Red Hot arrows and the new 1 1/8" Slick Trick 175 grain crossbow broadhead.

Red-Hot-Arrow-6pkPRODUCT.jpg

slicktrick.jpg

The vast number of excellent broadheads makes choosing one very difficult. I went with the Slick trick because of the feedback I've read, the size hole it makes and it's a fixed blade. I know many, many people swear mechanical broadheads are the way to go but I'm still skeptical. I really don't have the experience with mechanicals to make an educated choice anyway.

Bill

Excal all the way Keep it simple stupid ( KISS ) Great bows, My family was shooting Horton's till they saw what my Excalibur would do not they all shoot Excalibur's. Don't leave your bow strung in a hot car. Remove the shock pads and string at the end of season, Be sure and have a Excalibur scope (they work great ) Everything but the string is under warranty for life. Awesome customer service and support. I have 2 Excalibur bows one for each of my children I will never have to buy another bow again. The limbs they make today will work on the bow they made back in 1983. The limbs they put on a 150# bow are the same limb on the 225# bow. No wheels so it the string serving breaks put a new string on and go hunting. Min arrow weight 350 gr.

I have read many post on the Excalibur Xbows but the one thing I like is there is no wheels or cams on it so it is a simple but fast bow.

I also heard (not sure if it is true) that they are going to shorten the limbs on them either next year or the year after that.

I am looking into getting an xbow and the Excalibur is winning the race for me right now.

I just bought a Ten Point Titan Extreme. Injured my shoulder this summer which would have ruined bow hunting this year. Only needed 3 shots to site in. Very fast and accurate. Couldn't ask for anymore in a crossbow. Never got to take a buck with it yet. Customer service is supposed to be excellent. I love the accudraw with the crank handle.

It's great for me to be able to swap strings without a press, nearest local bow shop is 1/2 hr drive. I have a couple extra strings all shot in & stretched hanging here.

I know my Exocet & Laser II's will robin hood arrows @ 30yd without even trying, don't aim at the same spot or it's gonna cost ya.

Check out the new Black Eagle arrows, been hearing good things bout them.

Make sure your arrows have the flat knocks on them.

I just got a Exclaibur Exomax used last weekend. I only shot it a few times to check it out. I will order new arrows and field points before I shoot it again.

It is a 2011 model and is in like new condition. I do like the Vari-Zone scope that came on it. I'll be using Parker Red Hot arrows and the new 1 1/8" Slick Trick 175 grain crossbow broadhead.

Red-Hot-Arrow-6pkPRODUCT.jpg

slicktrick.jpg

The vast number of excellent broadheads makes choosing one very difficult. I went with the Slick trick because of the feedback I've read, the size hole it makes and it's a fixed blade. I know many, many people swear mechanical broadheads are the way to go but I'm still skeptical. I really don't have the experience with mechanicals to make an educated choice anyway.

Bill

I was thinking about going the used route but am alitle nervise about buying a used xbow or any bow in that case.

I was thinking about going the used route but am alitle nervise about buying a used xbow or any bow in that case.

Once you settle on the bow you want do a lot of research on it and on what to look for in a used bow. In my case it had only been shot a hand full of time was looked new. I examinded it closely and ran cotton balls over the limbs looking for cracks. It's worth the effort because you can get a quality bow and same some money for arrows and broadheads.

Bill

Thanks for the responses guys. Was just curious as my brother left his Easton xbow at my house and I had to play with it. A #165 bow shooting 22" 480gr bolts (weighed on rifle reloading scale). After shooting it and checking some of the charts here on the net it looks like it's at about 330fps. Biggest downfall to this bow is the trigger. Feels like it has about 50lbs of trigger pull and 6 feet of travel. Scope has 4 or 5 levels in it.

Sighted in at 10 yards.

10yd 0

20yd -3.25"

30yd -7.50"

At 30yd the 3rd crosshair hit about perfect again.

So that brings me to the next question. How do you guys sight in? Sight in close say 10yd and use all the crosses out as far as you shoot. Or use the rifle maximum point blank range system. Which with this combo according to the charts would be sighted in at 25yds, With the following flight path:

10yd +3"

20yd +2"

25yd 0

30yd -3"

The one pin system seems simpler to me. Hold in the center to 30yds and you are good. As to where if you use the wrong pin you could be off more then 3" in a hurry.

Another question. What is the theory behind the mega heavy xbow broadheads? From what I have read most bolts are made so that 100gr heads make for the right bolt balance.

For what it's worth the bow shot about 1.5" groups off the bench at 30yds. And probably a bit under 3" with me free handing @30yds. All in all was a fun play session.

Interesting!

With my excal Varizone scope I sighted the center crosshair dead on at 20yds, backed out to 40 yds, aimed with the 40yd mark in the scope, it was high so ya turn the speed ring up until it's dead on, fine tuned it @ 50 yds. If it hit low ya turn it down.

You can cronny the bow an set the speed ring an tweak it to be sure but the way I do it ya get to shoot more arrows, which is a good thing!

I've never cronnied it, useing 100gr on tips my speed ring is sayin 325 fps, long as all the scope marks are dead on is all I care bout.

The speed ring is actually a vari-power scope with diff arrow speeds marked on the power ring.

Crossbow accuracy improves with a higher foc arrow than a vertical bow. With the shorter arrows a heavier tip moves the front of center forward & lets the vanes steer better.

I'm using 100 gr tips with a 110 gr brass inserts my foc is around 20% blazer vanes an lots of helical twist.

could go with a lighter insert and heaver tip, some guys are using 175 gr broadheads.

Ok done measuring and calculating. Carbon bolt with aluminum insert and 100gr broadhead. With the broadhead the FOC is only 5%. The field tip had a 7.5% FOC.

The reading on the sight I got the calculation formulas from said the higher the FOC you have the faster the bolt will drop and it also loses penetrating ability. But, as stated the higher the FOC the more accurate the bolt will be. So all in all if you have a lower FOC and your xbow shoots ok it will shoot flatter and penetrate better. Will have to play with it some more when I can shoot broadheads into the sand pit and get a "hunting" accuracy reading.

7.5 % seems low for a 480gr arrow.

I've only had my Excal sense the end of May, pick it out my Fathers Day gift :D with a little help from Diesel, but anyway this next year I plan to try some different arrows and weight combo's.

Might steal a couple of my wife's Parker arrows, they're around 5 gr lighter with 4" vanes, just have to get rid of those silly capture nocks they use.