My cuz got a 380 for me to build him a cam(i only use cheap cameras) using my home made controller

but before I hack his cam got a few ?s.

1.using the on/off mode are you not using the focus just turn the cam on and shutter.

2. on the power switch is it being made to common to turn cam on.

3. and the shutter made to common to shutter a pic.

4. if you use the always on mode are you making the focus to common for the refresh.

in a nut shell here what I have on my mind.

using a 4 wire phone plug wired to the shutter, focus, power switch & common

for testing I would only have to change the code in my chip to go from on/off to always on.

any help :cheers:

I am not sure about the Focus. But, if you check the Pixcontroller site and see the camera modification specs for both types of camera hacks:

D-380 Always On

D-380 On/Off Hack

You will be able to see the difference in the wiring and soldering contact points in the pictures and printed directions. The Always On style uses the Common, Shutter, and Refresh contacts up just under the shutter button. Since the camera goes to sleep after a period of time a signal is sent to the refresh contact periodically (1.5 hrs interval I think). The On/Off is wired a little differently. Only the Common and Shutter are wired under the Shutter button and another wire is soldered to the Power contact just to the right of the viewfinder. This is all explained in the instructions and hopefully it will assist you in setting up your own electronics.

Good luck.

You got it.

The key is the same common is used for both powering the cam on and off and the shutter/focus.

This allowed a three wire existing system to still work for both with a simple code change and moving some wires to new locations.

A four wire like you state could switch from one to the other no problem.

Thing is that you don't really gain that much with the on/off versus 2.5 hour refreshed on all the time from what I found and some cameras were just too slow all together using the on/off. Not all of them just some of the ones I had.

thanks

Ok brain your saying I can wire it 1 wire on power, one on shutter , one on focus

and use the common that is at the shutter/focus. are you turning the camera ON (10 sec.) for refresh every 2.5 hours. or are you leaving the camera ON and keeping it awake with the refresh on the focus.

thanks for sharing :cheers:

Yes on the wiring.

No need for refresh in on off mode.

500msec refresh for the 2.5 hour on all the time.

good ? 212 , this is the 1st. 380 I've had my hands on and I did see a macro switch on the front my a101s have that and they are fixed focus.

It has a pre position location and a shutter location. So when you push the shutter button the common and focus(as we call it) pull in first and then the shutter. Thing is you don't need the refresh to pull in to fire the picture. You can simply wire in the common and shutter and it will take a picture. Not sure what the camera does or needs but that will work. We used the refresh since it will not take a picture when pulled in but it will start the timing over for how long the camera has before it goes to sleep and eventually off.

When you press half way the green light comes on as if it is focusing or doing something then press all the way and it will take a picture. If you just connect the common and shutter it will take a picture too. What the focus is doing I don't know I still assume it helps create quality pictures with light settings or something.

Maybe a camera guru can answer this better than me.

Anyone?

Thanks againg Brain . focus, refresh or pretrigger don't really matter but it good that its there for camera making. so what you are doing with always on is letting it goto sleep but the 2.5 hr. refresh keeps it from turning off. :cheers: